Found my 'no startup' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagnozzi

In Runtime
Ok, to sum up my earlier posts, I was having issues with my new P4 System, ECS 648FX-A2, skt 478 P4 HT 3.0GHz CPU, 1GB Crucial RAM, etc...system would not POST for the life of me, tried switching components out, testing everything, NOTHING....until yesterday...

I take my fan/heatink off and remove my CPU, do some inspecting and see nothing out of the ordinary. Now, I place my CPU back in gently and lock into place. This time, though, I do not put my heatsink/fan on (i know, this is not good)...AND IT FIRES RIGHT UP! BIOS, WINDOWS, EVERYTHING COMES TO LIFE!...and then it shuts off because it got too hot, no big deal though. I put the fan/heatsink back on, and guess what...it DOES NOT boot. Hmmm, so I take the fan/heatsink off, fire it up, NOTHING. Ok, so I reseat the CPU and it starts up, then turns off (cause it is too hot). So I come to the realization that my OEM heatsink/fan is pushing TOO HARD on my CPU while it lays in the socket. I'm now going to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler that puts less pressure on the CPU and still maintains good temps.

Funny, I never thought this could be the case. Those of you with similar non-boot/non-post problems, give this a try and let me know how it goes. (i'm not responsible if you fry your CPU, just be smart about it) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom