flash hard-drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dissenting_dove

Beta member
a mate of mine was saying that he thought it was possible to set up a bunch of 4GB flash cards to work as windows boot drive.

would this be possible, and if so would it be worthwile?

Dunno about the flash cards, but Gigabyte makes something like that.

It holds up to four DIMMs and has a battery back-up to hold the contents in case of power outage. I don't know for sure, but I think it is bootable.

Someone (Samsung, I think) recently announced a flash-based hard drive. Something like 8gig.

If you just google it, you can find information on them. They are called solid-state hard drives. Ive read that a few notebook companies want to start offering them (In small storage sizes) in their notebooks by next year or the year after. You can already buy like 10gb models that are bootable online right now for your desktop and laptop, but its pricy.

Solid State Hard Drives

Pros:
-Extremely fast

Cons:
-Very expensive
-Limited storoage space

turtile said:
If its compactflash, its not worth it.
why's that?
{edit}
£183 for 4GB!?
forget i asked!
{/edit}

I was thinking MMC anyway.

I can see that it'll work out a bit on the expensive side, but it'd be nice to have a hard-drive that was faster than a raptor and made no noise at all.

mind you, GFX card fan makes an awful noise at the moment (i think it's something to do with the bearings in it or something) so until i buy a new one it'd be pointless anyway.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom