First upgrade, what's compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Alright, probably about 4 years ago now I built my first computer with great success. Since then I haven't really kept up with what's what, but I do know I need to go with a multi-core processor and an upgrade to my mobo and ram for compatibility. Here's my current hardware specs:

motherboard - ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD (socket 939)
cpu - AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4Ghz
ram - OCZ Perforcmance 2GB (2x1GB) 184-pin DDR SDRAM
video card - Galaxy 9600GT
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB Sata 3gb
cpu cooler - Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL 92mm 2 Ball

Now, I believe my bottleneck right now is my processor, but I want to make sure in upgrading my processor, mobo, and ram, they will be compatible with the rest of my current hardware as I don't have the money right now to build a completely new comp. I was looking at these three upgrades here:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

along with:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

and:

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Since I'm new here, I didn't link any of these to the site I shop from cause I'm not sure if it was allowed on the boards, but if it would help just let me know. From what I can tell, everything here seems it would be compatible, but I would appreciate some feedback to make sure. Also, would I need to get a new cpu cooler or is it possible to remove the adhesive and apply it to the new processor? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out here.

you can link the parts, no worries :wink:

but yea those parts would be compatible, and yes you can reuse your cooler.

edit: ah didn't see the post above, too much time typing :p

Yes it's compatible and should work well together.
You should consider upgrading that video card too though.

Really? I actually just bought that video card a few months ago. I thought of all I'd need to upgrade that would be the last of my concerns. Suppose I can look at that down the road as a future upgrade, but for now I'm about pushing the most I can afford for a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

well if you're gaming then you'll want to upgrade it too, unless you're playing old games and/or on a small res. you might've bought the card a few months ago but it was released over 2 years ago.

thanks for all the feedback. as far as packages, it doesnt seem like the prices are really much better, plus i went with items that got some of the best feedback at a reasonable price.

one thing i almost forgot, can i stick with the same power supply? i'm assuming so but wanted to make sure the psu's aren't different when you go from single-core to multi-core processors? right now i have a XCLIO Goodpower 500w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom