First timer, please review my budget build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyrend

Beta member
Hello, this is my first time putting together a computer and I'd like some input on my build. Been doing a lot of research to make sure all the components are compatible, but I'd feel much better with confirmation from people in the know. ;) My current computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 with GeForce3 Ti 200 graphics card, so probably anything will be a step up from that dinosaur.

The main purpose of this will be general PC use (surfing, adobe/paint shop pro, music, ipod, multi-tasking, etc) and light gaming. I do play the occasional MMO like RF Online, Silkroad, and some PC RPGs, but I'm a console girl at heart and not looking to get into any of the high end stuff. Aion and Blade & Soul are probably the heaviest games I've considered thus far...

Budget is $400-$600. Reusing old peripherals and planning to buy a new copy of Windows XP sometime down the road. The graphic card will probably not be purchased right away, so that's already -$129 off the total at present.

Graphic Card - EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Had a lot of trouble with this part. I know it's cheap, but will it work well enough for my needs?

CPU - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CD/DVD Burner - LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM
I think this is only a burner, so also need a CD/DVD reader. Any good reader/burner combos I could get in place of this?

Case - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Free shipping, good reviews, not too flashy but still has some colour. I'm open to other suggestions if there are better ones.

Power Supply - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
Another part I'm having a tough time deciding on. This is cheap but I wouldn't mind spending the extra $20-$30 if necessary.

Was looking at these alternatives, not sure which to pick if the above PSU isn't feasible:
1. CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

2. Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

3. CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Sorry if I've missed anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Yay, glad that most of my parts are okay...puts a lot of my fears to rest. Thanks for the recommendations, I might switch to those instead. :happy:

I really like your build, its only 458$ yet delivers decent gaming. I may plan to use it on my own build ( just need the OS I believe, Premium 64 bit should do the trick) However, I just have 1 problem, I think IMO that the case is to expensive...any recommendations for others?

You're right on that one. Problem with the Phenom II's are that they are a bit more expensive than the older X3's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom