First time video card upgrade. Need reccomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^

I was saying the entire article was accurate, except for that last point about your motherboard shorting out.

Yeah I just got it. I guess I was frustrated with the case that I didn't take the time to read your reply as I should have. Anyways I got the PSU to fit by bending the metal as you suggested. Thanks again!

My next goal is to upgrade the ram to 4GB with Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB XMS2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR2 desktop memory and quite possibly the AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core processor.

depending on the price, you may want to get an Athlon II x4 instead of the first generation Phenom 9850.
the Athlon II may be faster(not sure about this), but if you can get the Phenom really cheap, then go for it.

PS I got a set of these left over from upgrade, let me know if you are interested. $45 shipped

depending on the price, you may want to get an Athlon II x4 instead of the first generation Phenom 9850.
the Athlon II may be faster(not sure about this), but if you can get the Phenom really cheap, then go for it.

PS I got a set of these left over from upgrade, let me know if you are interested. $45 shipped

I am confused. The specs for my desktop specify a AM2 processor is the only compatible upgrade available, yet the specs for the motherboard, on the same website, calls for a AM3 processor. I'm lost. As for the ram, I'm still undecided and currently have it on my wishlist as I don't have the money ATM.

OEMs such as HP, Dell and etc are usually horrible at updating product information.
So I based my recommendation off of another HP owner's experiences with the same motherboard as you.
He ordered a Phenom 2 x4 925 AM3 CPU and it seemed like it worked without a hitch.

that's a crazy good price. I bought mine set when DDR3 was just starting to come down in price, around $65. and I thought I had gotten a good deal!

Thanks a lot. I'm going with that set. I was wondering if anybody could help me out identify what motherboard I have. It's a M2N68-LA with "Rev 5.0." placed directly on the board, but "Rev A01" is right on the bottom on a sticker.

2q8o9rn.jpg

EDIT: It looks as if I have a HP (Narra5) M2N68-LA P6000 Motherboard (HP P/N: 513426-001) .

I just want something to run with my Radeon HD 5450 and a Antec earthwatts EA500 500W PSU. I am willing to replace my motherboard and processor, but prefer to only replace the CPU. I don't do any gaming, and don't intend on ever using this desktop for such. I want something capable of running CS5, iTunes, HD playback, and internet browsing, all at once without a hiccup. Something I wouldn't have to look forward to upgrading in a while. My budget rests at under $200.

I installed the card and ran auto-detect and install for the drivers, direct from the AMD website, but for some reason it installed Catalyst mobility. Is that normal? I'm now downloading the drivers from the manufacture's website. I'm doing this as the max. resolution is the same as it was with the on-board display (1440x900) and nowhere near what's supported by the card.

Do not let Windows install your drivers. Do it yourself, directly from ATI/AMD's site.

Alright. I uninstalled the display drivers via device manager, and before I could install the drivers from AMD, I received a notification from Windows telling me the card was ready to use. I still installed the drivers I got from AMD right after. How can I disable Windows from installing the drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom