First Time Computer Build - Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabokov17

Beta member
Don't bother getting a nVidia gfx card right now, they're just not worth it atm (and that's coming from a diehard nVidia fanboy :))

For instance, you can get a 4890 for less than that.

Also, don't buy pre-overclocked cards. You can do the same thing yourself for free.

I don't know much about graphics cards so I picked one based on this chart: PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

From the graph, it would appear as though the GTX 260 is better than the radeon 4850. Am I mistaken?

That's true but a 4890 is better than a GTX 260 and a 4890 is cheaper from what I've heard.

The HDD...?
Western Digital Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint F3 for performance over that Seagate.
Western Digital Caviar Blue if you want something for reliability.

i7 860 vs i5 750 for gaming...
They perform about the same...
I don't think it's worth the $100 personally.

The motherboard's ok, but I would get something with Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 for maximum upgrade ability.

And ultimately for gaming and upgrade ability, I'd probably get a cheap AM3 motherboard a Phenom II and an ATI card, but that's just me.
Intel vs ATI is a choice to be made by each consumer individually.

Your Power Supply choice...
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies

That Antec Earthwatts would do you just as good, and would save you $15
(DOA parts happen sometimes, don't be discouraged by the poster below, the Antec Earthwatts series PSUs are great.)

I like my wallet, and all the money in it personally.

This is kinda a stupid question. The motherboard I'm looking at has 4 memory slots. Will the i7-860 be able to use all 4? Since it says it has 2 channels of memory.

It means it supports dual channel memory, (as opposed to single or triple channel). It's nothing to do with the actual amount of ram slots the board has ;)

The antec 300 is just fine. I bought and used it with my build. It comes with a zillion thumb screws so installing the HD and OD are both tool free. Wire management is just fine as long as you know where to put the cables. I turned my HD around backwards and ran the sata cables around the side through the cable management whole.

I ended up having to rma the earthwatts powersupply. After a week it just stopped working. I went with the 650w corsair. I like it better because all the cables have coverings on them. The antec only had a cover over the bundle for the 24 pin connector.

I completely agree with this post, but if you're buying a 5830, I'd wait a few weeks for the price drop with the introduction of GF100.

There have been talks and rumors and discussions on review sites and forums alike.

When Nvidia releases GF100, ATI 5xxx series cards will see a price drop, it's almost guaranteed.
Unless of course Nvidia does something stupid and tries to sell their cards for like $700 each or some insanely high number so ATI doesn't even need to make their current sales prices budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom