First Time Building my own,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
And I'm going to need a bit of help.

-I'm from the USA.
-It needs to be under $350
-The motherboard needs to use IDE to connect to the hard drive.
-I don't want vista.
-It's just a general computer, doesn't need to be super fast or anything
-Just need the tower, and I don't need a hard drive, I have a 500 gig.

So, apparently y'all can help, and it would be much appreciated, as I have no idea what I am doing.

Motherboard
Newegg.com - Foxconn 945P7AA-8KS2 LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor
Newegg.com - Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Memory
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Case W/PSU
Newegg.com - Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector - Retail

Video card
Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDF3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Total build: $274

Whoops forgot the O/S, I usually just have one lying around. You can skimp more on the video card to gain the extra dough for an O/S. I would grab a OEM copy of XP Home.

The memory is not overkill by the way, eventually, even with office apps, you will need the two gigs.

Unless you wanted to buy a prebuilt, and that I can't (or won't) recommend any.

Whoops forgot the O/S, I usually just have one lying around. You can skimp more on the video card to gain the extra dough for an O/S. I would grab a OEM copy of XP Home.

Already have bought an OS, and downloaded Ubuntu.

Motherboard:

" good for a low end computer"

And it says not upgradable to dual core, which was the processer you selected. Do I need another one?

Processor:

someone said it was barley an upgrade from single core for twice the price, is it worth it?

Love the video card, great find.

Were all the things you posted compatible?

Also I need a cd/dvd player/burner, but the ones I looked at said E-IDE interface, is this compatible with the IDE on the mobo?

And could a couple other people review this before I order and start setting up? Will it all work, is it a good buy?

That motherboard doesn't support IDE.

So, is there anyone who can actually help me? I need the complete list of what to get that is actually compatible, and I have NO idea what I am doing.

That motherboard doesn't support IDE.

So, is there anyone who can actually help me? I need the complete list of what to get that is actually compatible, and I have NO idea what I am doing.

yes it does ATA is the same thing as IDE/EIDE

also don't triple post, use the edit feature and type any additions

yes it does ATA is the same thing as IDE/EIDE

also don't triple post, use the edit feature and type any additions

Newegg.com - MSI P6NGM-L LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce7050 / nForce610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
"PATA 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 4
SATA RAID 0/1/JBOD"

SATA is the same as IDE? I was talking about the second mobo.

The first one won't support dual core, the second won't support my hard drive.

And sorry, I didn't realize until it after, and I couldn't delete.

So, can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom