First time building a computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default First time building a computer

Hey guys, Iím planning on building my first gaming computer but have never attempted to build a computer before so I was wondering if I could get some advice before I purchase everything. Iím on a bit of a tight budget but I was thinking about getting:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Motherboard: ASUS AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
ASUS AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard (DDR3 1066/1333/1866(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, RAID, Micro ATX, VGA): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Graphics card: Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM
Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CX 600W
Corsair CMPSU-600CX 600W Power Supply: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

DVDRW: LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive - Bare Black
LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive - Bare Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Case: Suza Advance NeoXblade 8813B - Mid tower - black - USB/Audio/E-SATA
Suza Advance NeoXblade 8813B - Mid tower - black - USB/Audio/E-SATA: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Monitor: Dell IN2020 20 inch HD Widescreen Monitor with LED
Dell IN2020 20 inch HD Widescreen Monitor with LED: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Again, I am completely new to this so all suggestions/modifications are welcome.
However, I also have two questions:

1. Iím not really sure how which/how many fans to buy. Any suggestions?

2. If I buy EVERYTHING listed there (except for keyboard, mouse, fan and speakers) will I have everything I need to build and use the computer? I donít want to order everything and then realise that I canít finish putting it together because I should have bought a certain wire/connector.

Thanks for your help

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Default Re: First time building a computer

Are you planning on doing any serious overclocking?

If so, you're going to need a Heat Sink for that CPU and also may want to look into some better cooling options.

Personally I prefer XFX's 5770's to Sapphires, but the specs are practically the same.

Also with how cheap that RAM your getting is, I'd go on and throw 8GB in it. But that's just me.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No I'm not planning on overclocking. Wouldn't really know how to anyway
Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuelempty View Post
1. I’m not really sure how which/how many fans to buy. Any suggestions?

2. If I buy EVERYTHING listed there (except for keyboard, mouse, fan and speakers) will I have everything I need to build and use the computer? I don’t want to order everything and then realise that I can’t finish putting it together because I should have bought a certain wire/connector.

Thanks for your help
1. Buy as many fans as your case can handle. They are cheap and will help your computer run nice and cool.
2. Seems like everything to me. All of the parts come with connectors if they are needed. For example,

RAM/CPU goes straight into the mobo. Power cords to everything come with the PSU. SATA cables come with the mobo for the HDD. Fans screw into the case and the cables are part of them...

Let us know how you go.
ASROCK 890GM
PowerColor Radeon HD 6870
1TB WD 7200rpm SATA3
Win7
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This should help you with the assembly

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all of the advice. I have begun to start buying components but have decided to make a few changes to the original build:

- I put in 8GB of RAM

- I changed the 600W corsair PSU to a 650W corsair PSU ( Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )

The only problem is that I showed my build to someone who 'knows computers' and they said that the current 650W PSU just wasnt up to the job. Thats confused me a bit because I was convinced that it would and I dont really want to spend any more money on a 700W+

Can anybody tell me if he is right or has no idea what he is talkign about?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
ninja troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tenk- View Post
1. Buy as many fans as your case can handle. They are cheap and will help your computer run nice and cool.
if you arent overclocking and you dont want your computer to sound like a jet engine at all times, buying more fans probably wont be necessary. I would go the other route and see if you could get away with removing a fan while maintaining reasonable temps.

1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Closed Thread