First time builder, need assitance - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default First time builder, need assitance

I recently bought the Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Barebone Kit off tigerdirect and have assembled the hardware for the most part...

I screwed the motherboard and power supply to the tower and connected all power supply cables except the Video card power cable (6 pin) and the 8 pin server/workstation cable(what is this for??)

The problem I encounter is when I turn on the power supply, the motherboard starts(green light turns on) but pressing the power on the tower yields no response.

I looked in the Motherboard manual to check for system panel connections, but I'm still a bit confused on how they are oriented, all it tells you is where to put the pins and not if they go vertical or horizontal (the speaker, usb, and ac connections were easy since they were in a bundle and only went one way).
Pins:
+ Pwr LED, = Pwr LED (each 1 pin ea)
2 pin HDD LED
2 pin RESET SW
2 pin POWER SW

Also when I turn on the power supply the only thing activating is the motherboard, on occasions the CPU fan would rotate once, but cease. The power fan is immobile, what signs should I look for to be sure everything is intact?

Thank you greatly for any responses, I'm a complete amateur at this, I bought it due to more bang for the buck

Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: First time builder, need assitance

If you look on the motherboard there should be indications on which pins go where written next to the system panel pins. Also, you probably will find that they'll only all properly fit if put in a certain way.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The thing is the system pins (LED, SW and all) are interchangeable, they fit horizontally and vertically. I think it's the pin location, but that might not be the actual problem. I don't know what to look for after flipping the rear power switch, all I did was mount the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply cords really
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

the pins should be numbered.

or something like that.

Power Switch will be like 1, 5, which means it goes vertically on the 1 and 5 pins.

Edit: All of this will be in the motherboard manual.
2x4gb Patriot DDR3 1333
750gb Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive
Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

How will I know if I plugged in the pins correctly? What signs indicate that the CPU+Motherboard+power supply are functional? All I see is that the motherboard's green light turns on, and CPU fan rotates once before stopping.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I know that they are plugged in correctly now since if I plug them in any other way, pressing the pwr switch gets no response. When I press the power, the LED lights up for half a second and the CPU fan turns on once before stopping. Can anyone tell me my problem?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

You might have a short there. Have you installed the motherboard correctly? e.g. installed the risers behind it?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kram

There's no direct link I could find for the manual (slow asus website uses a JAVA downloader - ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- and search for your mobo) but the pin layout is page 23(sec 1-14) if you have a physical manual. Guarantee your layout is right.

Check for extra screw sockets or whatever they're called behind your main board that's what got me when I had that problem a while ago.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

There are (in all my experiences) two cables from the power supply that go to the motherboard. Check that both are plugged in. When you fail to install the 4 pin, or put in the wrong voltage one, I have gotten that exact same problem. One spin of the fan.
2x4gb Patriot DDR3 1333
750gb Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

^ I agree...this sound like your problem. Make sure you have the 24 pin AND the 4 pin (sometime 8 pins on newer boards) plugged into the motherboard. The 24 pin supplies power to the motherboard, the 4 pin supplies power to the CPU. Without either you will not boot.

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Closed Thread