First time builder, need assitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayereyals

Solid State Member
I recently bought the Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Barebone Kit off tigerdirect and have assembled the hardware for the most part...

I screwed the motherboard and power supply to the tower and connected all power supply cables except the Video card power cable (6 pin) and the 8 pin server/workstation cable(what is this for??)

The problem I encounter is when I turn on the power supply, the motherboard starts(green light turns on) but pressing the power on the tower yields no response.

I looked in the Motherboard manual to check for system panel connections, but I'm still a bit confused on how they are oriented, all it tells you is where to put the pins and not if they go vertical or horizontal (the speaker, usb, and ac connections were easy since they were in a bundle and only went one way).
Pins:
+ Pwr LED, = Pwr LED (each 1 pin ea)
2 pin HDD LED
2 pin RESET SW
2 pin POWER SW

Also when I turn on the power supply the only thing activating is the motherboard, on occasions the CPU fan would rotate once, but cease. The power fan is immobile, what signs should I look for to be sure everything is intact?

Thank you greatly for any responses, I'm a complete amateur at this, I bought it due to more bang for the buck

If you look on the motherboard there should be indications on which pins go where written next to the system panel pins. Also, you probably will find that they'll only all properly fit if put in a certain way.

The thing is the system pins (LED, SW and all) are interchangeable, they fit horizontally and vertically. I think it's the pin location, but that might not be the actual problem. I don't know what to look for after flipping the rear power switch, all I did was mount the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply cords really

the pins should be numbered.

or something like that.

Power Switch will be like 1, 5, which means it goes vertically on the 1 and 5 pins.

Edit: All of this will be in the motherboard manual.

How will I know if I plugged in the pins correctly? What signs indicate that the CPU+Motherboard+power supply are functional? All I see is that the motherboard's green light turns on, and CPU fan rotates once before stopping.

I know that they are plugged in correctly now since if I plug them in any other way, pressing the pwr switch gets no response. When I press the power, the LED lights up for half a second and the CPU fan turns on once before stopping. Can anyone tell me my problem?

You might have a short there. Have you installed the motherboard correctly? e.g. installed the risers behind it?

There's no direct link I could find for the manual (slow asus website uses a JAVA downloader - ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- and search for your mobo) but the pin layout is page 23(sec 1-14) if you have a physical manual. Guarantee your layout is right.

Check for extra screw sockets or whatever they're called behind your main board that's what got me when I had that problem a while ago.

There are (in all my experiences) two cables from the power supply that go to the motherboard. Check that both are plugged in. When you fail to install the 4 pin, or put in the wrong voltage one, I have gotten that exact same problem. One spin of the fan.

^ I agree...this sound like your problem. Make sure you have the 24 pin AND the 4 pin (sometime 8 pins on newer boards) plugged into the motherboard. The 24 pin supplies power to the motherboard, the 4 pin supplies power to the CPU. Without either you will not boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom