First-time builder looking for opinions on projected specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redlektra

Beta member
TL;DR: 1. Is this a good build?
2. Will it last?
3. Is it cost effective?

So I've decided to try my hand at building a gaming computer myself, considering how much more expensive it seems to be to let a better known builder, such as ibuypower or cyberpowerpc, do it for me. I've done a little research but I can't say I understand things perfectly. Here's the build I've come up with. I really think I can get it for cheaper than the parts I've picked, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the parts- considering that if it lasts a few years it's worth the cost. I imagine on that note it might be better to give that extra dollar. Either way, here's what I'm thinking of so far.

Once again, I want this computer to last a while and be as cost effective as possible at the same time. I don't want to spend over 800, and preferably wouldn't have to spend more than six (though I realize that may not be possible). I'm an ardent fan of newegg, so if you link I'd prefer it were there unless you have a similarly reputable site.

Mobo (Is this a reliable brand?)
CPU (Is this outdated?)
Hard Drive (Would I do better with more?)
Memory (Should I get 6GB?)
Video Card (Should I invest in the 6850?)
PSU (Do I need this many watts?)
Case (I want a budget case that will protect my system and keep it cool, ergo lots of room for fans. Preferably it would come with 1-2 on it's own)
Operating System

Thanks ahead of time for all the help. :)

It looks good for a low-to-mid range gamer.

Biostar is a mid-range good brand.

The Phenom II x4 955 is a low-to-mid range quad, but a good bang for the buck buy.

A 500GB WD Black will be plenty for games and OS. You might want a larger second drive for files and data later on.

Crucial is still a good RAM manufacturer.

The 5770 is a good mid-range card.

You can't go wrong with Antec and 550W will power this build well.

Cases are personal taste but Cooler Master is a good choice.

Overall you did very well. ;)

I'd say a couple of years. Heck, there are still USB 1.0 devices on the market even though USB 2.0 has been the main for a while now. USB 3.0 is great, but it is still new and most people do not have access to it. If the economy was still booming it would become mainstream much faster but for now it will only come in as people have to replace hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom