first time builder, did my re-search, final approach questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Baseband Member
well, ive done a ton of reading on more websites than i can remember and ive got a pretty good idea of what i want to buy and how to do just about everything i need except:

since i generally use my computer to multi-task between a lot of web-browsing, music, spreadsheet, and file managing programs, am i right to be going with a AMD 3000+?

what are some good sites that walk you through setting up the BIOS and drivers on a new mobo?

what are some good sites in general to teach me how processors work? (i.e. the differences between a P4 Willamette, Northwood, and Prescott or the AMD Sempron and 3000+)

on cpu-z 1.30, what is the Revision mean for motherboards and processors?

-patrick
---
Windows XP Pro SP2
i850E on whatever Intel board Dell gave me
P4 Northwood 2.0 GHz
512MB PC800
some 80GB HD
Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM

since i generally use my computer to multi-task between a lot of web-browsing, music, spreadsheet, and file managing programs, am i right to be going with a AMD 3000+?
A lot of people suggest Intel for multitasking. But, as long as there is enough CPU power to go around, an AMD will multitask just fine. In fact, I have a 3000+, and it handles multitasking just fine.

what are some good sites that walk you through setting up the BIOS and drivers on a new mobo?
Actually, the manual you get with your mobo should have all the info you need to get started with your BIOS, etc. Also, your hardware components will come with CDs with drivers to get you started. Of course, you should update those drivers, as the ones on the CDs might be a little out of date, but the ones on the CDs should get you started.

what are some good sites in general to teach me how processors work? (i.e. the differences between a P4 Willamette, Northwood, and Prescott or the AMD Sempron and 3000+)
Look at sites like www.anandtech.com or www.xbitlabs.com or www.tomshardware.com . They have reviews, benchmarks, etc on the differences in CPU cores (ie: Williamette, Northwood, Venice, etc).

But, in general, if you are looking to build an AMD machine, look at getting a CPU with either a Venice core or a San Diego core. Both are similar, just San Diego has double the L2 cache of Venice. Both run cooler than the previous cores, and they have an extra instruction set over the older ones.

on cpu-z 1.30, what is the Revision mean for motherboards and processors?
That means that they re-released the software because a new mobo or CPU was released. Since CPU-Z does a lot for identifying mobos and CPUs, it cant do much unless it actually knows what hardware it should be looking for.

Hope that helps:D

That means that they re-released the software because a new mobo or CPU was released.

I miss-led you on this one :) , what I meant was what are the things like "Revision B0" under the CPU tab or "Rev. A3" under the Mainboard tab? Are these drivers for the CPU and motherboard or just a certain release of the given processor and motherboard?

-Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom