First time build/upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk1045

In Runtime
Hey all,

A little info before i get into the questions.
I have a compaq computer and originally wanted to OC my ram, processor and GPU. However after much back and forth I found out it was not going to go as planned. So it was suggested I upgrade my mobo and processor. That is what I am here to do, as well as a few other hardware upgrades.

current system:
mobo nvidia MCP61
Processor AMD athlon II x2 215 (2.71 GHz)
Ram 3GB DDR2-SDRAM (PC2- 6400/800 Mhz)
Video Card Nvidia 6150SE Nforce 430

These are the components I want to change. I would like to keep all my other hardware. If i could get some suggestions of what ram, processor, video card and mobo to get I would greatly appreciate it, keeping in mind I would like to stay around $350 and I want to keep the new processor in the AMD family.

Will doing this upgrade affect my HDD data? If so how will I save this information before the change? Also my OS windows 7 was preinstalled.

If i missed anything please let me know. Thanks all for your input

I suggest you keep the ram and move it over too the new board for now because it's not too bad for your uses.

Get,
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor HD875ZWCJ3BGH - Processors - Desktops

$349.96 total
I think it's good as far as compatibility and all but double check for accuracy

You can overclock and possibly unlock a 4th core on the cpu the board will support the ram new PSU great graphics card i think your set.
I'm jealous lol

that cpu would actually be a downgrade in performance in some applications compared to the cpu he has right now. even though it has 1 more core it's an older gen cpu, the one he has right now is part of the current gen of amd's cpus so i would stick with the cpu he has right now, it isn't bad.

that cpu would actually be a downgrade in performance in some applications compared to the cpu he has right now. even though it has 1 more core it's an older gen cpu, the one he has right now is part of the current gen of amd's cpus so i would stick with the cpu he has right now, it isn't bad.

I thought so but you confirmed my suspicion. Still learning but besides that I think I did well.

I would use the money from the CPU than to buy a new heat sink.

Same total. :thumbsup:

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler

I agree with Muffin. The newer Athlon II, Phenom II CPUs will hit 3.5 to 3.9ghz on air without much trouble. The old generation Athlon/Phenom chips have trouble getting over 3.2ghz stable.

Not only that but they use more power, older instruction sets, and have less cache.

I like the CPU cooler idea. That one looks like it's a decent cooler.

@op If you get the system Abstract Hero was talking about (WITHOUT the processor) you'll be blown away by its performance. It will seriously be a brand new world for you.

Thank you for the help all. I would like to ask about one change.
If I downgraded the Vido Card you suggested and upgraded my processor instead which would you suggest?
Also maybe I could get just 1-2 GB more Ram and add it to what I already have? which would be compatible?
I read that my programs I use such as 3d Max, inventor, and autoCAD task the processor more than the GPU.
Plus I do not game all that much, just a weekend kinda thing there.

Thanks

I'm headed off to work, but I will see what I can piece together tonight when I get back in.

HAHA Abstract you are great. Confusing the **** out of me but great non the less lol. Thank you very much.
lets work from this premise on forward. I like this board, solid name brand and good amenities i believe.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

power supply, if u guys say I need one then I will get one. This one looked good, and cheap so im happy

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I think im going to just keep my ram for now. I will try and overclock, hopefully get something out of it.
And I like the CPU cooler also. Might just go with the cheaper one, or the compatible one lol

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler or the other one XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler

I found a few things myself that I would like u to look at if u could. Every bit of info I can get really helps. Im an informationaholic lol, I don't like to just go in green if you guys get me.

power supply/ CPU
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $154
or
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $125
mobo
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $70
GPU
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGT220/DI/1GD2(LP) GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card $70

what do you think? will this all be compatible? Any other suggestions or setups are more than welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom