First Time Build Hard Drive Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default First Time Build Hard Drive Question

Firstly, thank you for any help/advice you can offer.

Recently I purchased parts to build my own computer. I have, up to this point, just purchased Compaqs and did minor upgrades, but I thought it would be fun to put my own together. I have followed many guides and have done alot of research about which parts to buy, so I think I am all good to go...however, I have one question. I had been running a Compaq with Windows 7 installed. It did not come with DVD Installation disks, rather, I believe the OS Install files were on a partition of the hard drive. If I scavenge that Hard drive for my the computer I am building, will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 on it, or will I need to purchase another copy of the OS?

I am hoping to save $100 here, but I understand if it is not possible. Also, I do not care about losing any data on the drive.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: First Time Build Hard Drive Question

No, it wont work. The OS will be specific to the old machine. You'll have to aquire another copy from somewhere.
Closed Thread

Posting Rules