first gaming pc build, would like suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvene1

Beta member
hey guys, I am currently planning out my first custom gaming pc and I'm kind of new, so any help would be appreciated.
currently I'm looking at:

motherboard: EVA A8806M-M7 AM3 Micro ATX motherboard.

memory: G.skill ripjaws series 4GB 2x2

processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

power supply: diablotek PHD series 2nd generation 650 watts

graphics card: I'm not totally sure yet but I've looked at a few. XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon BDAY 6950
or ONTO Geforce gts 250.

I'm planning on using my own HDD until I can afford to upgrade to at least 1 TB

I'm also going to use my old case and disk drives.

ALSO I currently have Windows Vista OEM on my current pc. it has a sticker with the key on the side of the case. can I wipe my old hard drive and still use that copy of Vista on my new computer? any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The gaming build is only as good as your budget. I am a huge fan of best bang for your buck, so it will be easier to make suggestions knowing your top dollar. Here is what I think about your selections.

motherboard:Are you sure you got the right model of motherboard correct? I'm having trouble searching for it.
Memory: I like the memory
Processor: processor is a little dated but still good depending on your budget.
Power Supply: The power supply I don't know about. There were some mixed reviews on Newegg. Going cheap on your power supply will cause nothing but pain in the future. I recommend OCZ. I have a 680w and it has been very solid.
Video Card: You are teetering between two very different cards when it comes to power. The gts 250 is a very outdated card, and if you are looking to play more modern games I highly recommend going with the 6950. I am currently running one and I'm very impressed. I saved some money with going with the VisionTek 6950, which also comes with a lifetime warranty.

This is a full build that is right at $600 and change. I went with a Dual Core process instead of the quad mainly because you don't get a huge increase in gaming benchmarks for the extra money (benchmarks: Phenom II 555 BE Phenom II 965 BE), plus the 555 is a 80w CPU so it will run cooler. The biostar board is pretty solid for $50, and supports the Phenom II x6 CPU's. If you are planning to do a Multi-Video Card setup you will need a different board. I went with a 550w power supply that is actually more expensive than the 650w you had mentioned earlier, but with power supplies you get what you pay for. This has a 1TB Hard Drive, and a pretty solid case. Nothing fancy, and I went with a Radeon 6850. It isn't as fast as the 6950, but it's much better than the gts 250. Also you can save a little money by going with a Radeon 5850, which performs about the same. The 6850 will supposedly get better frame rates on more modern DX11 games but that has yet to be seen. My only advice is to read a lot of performance benchmarks.

Motherboard
Processor
Power Supply
Memory
Hard Drive
Case
Video

that's pretty good but my friend and I did a new build at lunch and came up with this.

same processor

patriot g series sector 5 edition 4GB 2x2
motherboard msi 760gm-p35 am3

vid card sapphire vapor x radeon hd 6870
I teealllllly like this card lol its 200 dollars

power supply. cooler master silent pro m600 600 watt.
this build is 575.75 plus theres rebates and free shipping. I really want a quad core btw.

Patriot RAM is taking a roll of the dice, mate. While they were great back in the days of DDR they are not what they used to be.

I'm not a fan of MSI boards myself. Asus, Biostar, and ASrock have done me good, and Gigabyte is solid as well.

If the card is a great deal then go for it, but don't blow extra money unless you have it to blow. The Vapor X cards have awesome coolers, though.

Do NOT go with a Cooler Master PSU. Look at Antec, OCZ, Corsair (except for the Builder series), FSP Group, Seasonic. Every Cooler Master PSU I have worked with has died and did so at the worst possible time.

As long as the board you get has ACC you can try to unlock the X2 555. TheDancingFetus was able to unlock his into a quad but there are no gaurantees or promises. Even if it doesn't unlock the X2 555 is still a killer dual core for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom