First Custom PC Build Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

notoriousWAFFLE

Beta member
Hey all, hope this is in the right forum!

Here is my deal, I have a macbook pro, but I feel that I would make better use of a gaming rig (as I play a lot of games- BF2142, HL2/CS:S- on my windows partition) and a macbook for portability and OS X. I am looking to spend ~$1000-$1200 on the gaming machine.

I based what I have found on the hot hardware guide for a sub $1000 PC, but I would like some advice before I go ahead with anything. First of all, have I forgoten anything major? Second of all, should I change any of the components for something better or cheaper? Also, I have no idea about cooling- I know things like the GFX card come with fans attached, but what about everything else? Do I need aditional cooling, especially if I plan to OC things a bit?

The second part of my question is how hard is it to build a computer yourself? I have never done anything like it, besides putting in RAM and an ethernet card in my mom and dad's old dell. What skills do I need? Is it just snapping things into place and plugging in wires, or is soldering and slicing required?

Here is what I am looking at:

Case: Antec

Processor: C2D E6300 ( I hear it is easily OC-able?)

HDD: Western Digital

GFX Card: eVGA GeForce 7950

PSU: Hiper

Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum V.2

RAM: Corsair

Monitor: Dell

building a comptuer is very easy to do physically. however, it can get sticky when you install windows and other hardware.

when you get your parts you should be able to figure it out. if not, just post some threads or reply on this one.

looks like everything you have is compatable, but i have a few suggestions:

Mobo- if you're willing to spend that much, go with an Asus motherboard. MSI is just ok, and you'll get better preformance and support from Asus. They are easily the best motherboard manufacturers

RAM- really, RAM is overrated when it comes to brand. I once had a stick of corsair and a stick of an off-brand called Ultra. the corsair was about $70 more, and the chips on the sticks were exactly the same. i don't know about Ultra's DDR2 prices, but you sure can save a lot on ram by buying from ultra. mine has worked flawlessly for over a year now.

Other than that, everything looks compatible, but don't forget you have to buy XP too. you can get it for $100 if you get the OEM edition, which is exactly the same.

I would recommend a mobo with the nVidia 680i chipset, but they're about $100 more. Since I don't mess with Intel, I really could offer much more than that.

The P180 is a great case. Good choice. And I've heard good things about Hiper.

Everything else looks good, too. The RAM is a little expensive... for about $75 more you could go for 2 gig.

Trotter said:
The 650 ain't so hot. Go with an Intel chipset over it.

The 680i looks really good but it is a good $100 more, which I can't really afford. I've been looking at ASUS C2D motherboards and I can't really seem to find a good one. I've found this one, which is a good deal cheaper and looks like it has the features I need, however I wonder if it will support some minor processor overclocking.

As for RAM, I am considering this G.SKILL 1gb stick or this OCZ 1gb stick. Not sure about either.

I guess my bigest question before I go ahead an order all this stuff is that I've never had a computer that wasn't from a major company before. I've had computers break on me and I've always been able to send 'em back for repairs free of charge. What do I do if something in this computer breaks? As far as I can tell, I have no recourse. What do you guys do, as I imagine it happens to quite a few people...

That motherboard should handle minor overclocking fine. And either RAM would be great.

When you build your own, you have the manufacturer's warranty and your own skills and labor. But, now you have us as a resource, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom