First building experience was terrible (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never mind. Ok, so I just found out that I need "4!" 4 pin power supply cords to plug my graphics card into. So any idea where I could get a power supply with a bunch of 4 pin connectors?

what ? I never seen a video card to have 2 6 connections...
Normally I deal with normal pci-e based ATI and some NVIDIA cards.
You should be able to take that 6 pin connector from your new motherboard and plug that in one socket, if you have 2 connectors like you say you do, there should be no reason for that power supply to have another connector to powered it up.

Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken but doesn't normal ATX PSU and up past 400 watts have that many connectors and wiring to hook up 90% of your parts ?

I have a 430 watt dynamo power supply and believe you me that joker has way to many connectors and wires on it....

The only way you would need 4 molex connectors to a power a GPU is if you are using molex to PCIE Converters, which is not reccomended.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just called tech support and they said yes it is needed. So I have to plug the gpu into 4 different 4 pin cables (does that psu have enough?). And last problem before I should be good, is my HDhas the same connectors as the dvd, but in addition it has an 8 pin connector to the right of the other 2 connector slots. So what in the world goes there?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-8.html

That is an image of a gpu with the 2 6pin slots. The cords that came with mine however require 2 4 pin suckers coming out of the end of each cord, for a total of 4 4-pin connectors that need to be plugged in. Just called tech support and he said that was true.
But about the dvd drive, im confused.

Heres a picture of my HD, and it looks like theres a cover over two of the pins... so what goes there?
http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/WD400JD-NDW-R.jpg

most power supplies over 400 watts will have the pci-e black power connector for the video card. older surplus power supplies may be lacking the connector. some of the newer high end video cards will have a six pin connector. usually the video card mfr includes a y connector 2 molex to one six pin. if your power supply does not have the four pin connector, they do make adapters.
i have been watching from the beginning, but you still have not given a list of your componets. the reason for this is fellow builders can look at the parts on the internet to see if you missed something or mismatched componets.

still having fun ??

Okay you have the 4670 correct? It doesnt need the 6 pin pci-e.... I can't find 1 4670 with a pci-e connection... or did ylou buy a different card?

And despite that, are you returning the case and psu? as it might just be cheaper to just grab a psu and keep the crap one. You can swap psus..

Heh not really, I posted everything earlier in the discussion. Still don't know about the hard drive though if theres any input on that? The picture is exactly what I ahve

Sorry I don't have the 4670! I got the EVGA gts 250. And I got a better deal for pretty cheap on the PSU and case.

Okay, thats why your psu doesnt work...

See you referenced the trotter build. Which has the 4670 with nol pci-e needs.. Now that you say a 25, you just need to get a psu with a pci-e connector, 4 or 500W is fine.

The 3pins on the HD is for the jumpewr pins to select certain modes... which you dont need to know ;)

So the PSU that mike posted will be fine? And HD pins i just don't plug anything into? Hope thats right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom