First Build | Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhaLe FaiL

Solid State Member
Hi Tech Forums,

I'm still rather new to computers in general, and was working on my first build. Everything went smoothly as far as the physical build, but when I booted the system, the monitor doesn't get a signal. The monitor is hooked up to a graphics card, and I've tried everything I could think of (not that many things) I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this:

SPECS:
motherboard: MSI 870a-G54
processor: AMD athlon phenom II quadcore x4
graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5570
Powersupply: coolmax 700 watt

thanks for your time! happy holidays

-WhaLe

If the motherboard has built-in video make sure it's disabled. If the video card requires a power connector make sure it's plugged in good.

Looking at your parts the 1st thing that I notice is the Coolmax Power Supply. It's the most likely candidate as Coolmax power supplies are crappy.

thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the problem is that the motherboard has built in video but there's no video output as far as I can see on the motherboard. Any ideas on how I can disable it?

If it has built-in video then it has to have a output, it will be located with the mouse, keyboard, sound, usb, network, etc... connections. If there is no video output connector then that is not the problem.

Their should be an option in the Bios to disable any on-board video. Some motherboards will auto-sense when a card is plugged in and automatically disable the on-board video, but not all of them.

You may not want to hear it but I'll bet money the problem is with the Coolmax power supply.

That would be my guess.

I would probably try assembling the computer out of the case, on a table not the carpet, to make sure something is grounding out.

I put the computer together on a table upstairs wearing an antistatic wristband and I just replaced the powersupply with another one that was laying around and the monitor still doesn't recognize it. Anymore ideas?

Thanks for your time

-WhaLe

You took it apart in 3 minutes?

What make and size did you try it with? Just any old power supply probably won't work either, it needs a minimum of a 400 watts power supply.

yea, all I had to do was unscrew the power supply and put the other one in. The coolmax was a 700 watt, and the other one I put in was a 500 watt. I also ran it with everything but the essentials unplugged.

-WhaLe

Remove the motherboard from the case. Assemble the parts without using the case at all. A component may be grounding out on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom