First build...how am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blatty

Beta member
I want a computer that's good for video editing and gaming. I was told that nvidia graphics card is what I should get, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. So far I've found a package deal for $350 that includes Asus P8P67 Le B3 Intel P67 Motherboard and Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core Unlocked CPU Bundle. I would like to use FireWire to connect everything instead of USB (is this FireWire capable?) and a solid state SATA hard drive. Any suggestions for hard drive, graphics card sound card (I want good sound!) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers,

Blatty

I wouldn't go crazy with the solid state drives because:
A. They are veryyy expensive
B. They don't have a large amount of storage yet because the technology is still very new.
I'd recommend getting a western digital 10K RPM 500gb HDD.
Also, video card wise, the radeon series seems to be cheaper and faster. (Recently launched the 6K series!)

The updated parts list:
Intel i5 2500k/Asus p8p67 LE B3 motherboard package
WD Caviar Black 2tb HDD
VisionTek Radeon HD6850 1Gb PCI express graphics card

A couple questions, if I'm going to be mainly using headphones for my sound - what do I need to look at for good audio quality in the headphones? I'm looking at using FireWire, is all of this compatible? Lastly, I think I'm just going with 3 USB ports - is this enough or do people find that they need more? How am I doing so far? After looking at prices for some of the sound cards and PCI's I'm still under $1000!

Python, many people here run their OS on a SSD. You gain much speed. a 60GB is only a little over $100. While they may not have much storage space, you would install your games and big programs on your secondary drive. It's been done.

Blatty, I wasn't aware headphones were FireWire. Firewire is a dead end, though. Not many facturers make it anymore. USB3 is the new kid on the block to replace FireWire.

Do you mean USB 3 ports? Boards don't come with three USB ports. They normally have 4 or 6.

You do not need a sound card unless you are an audiophile. Onboard sound is adequate.

You could get this CPU and motherboard combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.654384
Little more powerful than the 2500K.

I looked at the i7 and it's a bit more than I need and for another $100 I don't think it's worth it. And I don't need any more RAM, there's 2TB on the HDD (unless I'm mistaken andnthis isn't "memory"). Other than that all I should need is a case, monitor, keyboard and mouse (hopefully this is the case, I would give a little more thought about springing for the i7 then). Thanks for all the help by the way, taking hours off of scrambling the Internet and a lot of frustration!

No, that's a HDD, RAM sticks are smaller.

corsairddr31800C7D_full.jpg

Alright so here's the complete parts list:

Intel i5 2500k CPU
ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Motherboard
WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD
VisionTek Radeon HD6850 1GB PCI express Graphics Card
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 RAM (24 pin)
Corsair CMPSU950-TX power supply
HP 24x internal double layer DVD/cd drive
Acer 27" widescreen flat panel LED monitor
Cooler master 932 full tower
I'll look more into keyboard and mouse a little later but I don't think it matters

Total bill: $1,457 (just under my $1500 cap!). Does everything look compatible and will this stuff be good for video editing and gaming? Lastly am I missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom