specs:

cpu: athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core
mobo: asus a8n-sli
psu: antec smartpower 2.0 sp-500w
ram: kingston valueram 2gb (2x1gb)
hdd: seagate 80gb sata 3gb/s
gpu: evga nvidia geforce 7600gt

questions:

after bios setup and winxp sp2 installation (which was pretty quick btw) windows xp takes FOREVER to startup (almost 2-5 minutes avg.). my bios seems to be up to date (ver1014) and ive installed the most recent nvidia chipset drivers and still no luck. my family's pos dell dimension p4 @ 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram (2x256mb) boots up instantly but of course is way slower performance wise. although my pc runs fine after, its just that startup which is really frustrating. how do i make it startup faster like the dell?

also, is there a way to increase the chassis fan speed? right when i power on my computer, it tells me that "cha1 fan failed or speed too low" which is pretty annoying also. i'm pretty sure the connection is right (or maybe not). can i increase fan speed from the bios?

any help on any of those would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Have you installed all your software on it? when i first installed XP and booted it was really quick but after i installed all my software its gotten pretty slow. still not 2-5 mins, is that an exageration cos that is a h3ll of a long time

even before software installation, windows xp startup was slow. not much change in startup speed after software installation. i read on one of the newegg reviews on the mobo saying "avoid installing the ide drivers which will make windows startup slow", i have, and still no luck.

its not a great feeling building a machine then starting it up having one of your friends say "i thought you said your ish was fast, its SLOW! my sony vaio (which is a piece of crap) is way faster haha!"

with the ide & sata dma settings. they're all on "enabled" and still no luck making it faster. there is no "auto" settings. if i'm looking at the wrong thing, please correct me.

any more ideas or help would be appreciated!

before you go so far as to reinstall XP, try looking at this page:
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm

he basically says that one (or more) of your startup programs is to blame. (search for "slow" to find his comments on slow booting sp2)

Also, the best google query i found was "slow boot xp sp2" (w/o the quotation marks). I only checked the first few.

If troubleshooting the startup programs doesn't do it, then give the results of that google query a try. There was lots of promising results.

i actually tried reinstalling windows xp using the "repair" function.

it made the startup time a little bit quicker but its still at 1-2 minutes avg haha. also, when i restart the computer sometimes when it tries to load winxp, it hangs at the black screen where it shows the windows xp logo and that little loading bar which is frustrating like h3ll having to reset the system a few times before actually getting it to load up fine.

anyone have any idea how to increase the chassis fan speed? i still get that warning message right when i power on my system saying the fan speed is too low followed by a sequence of annoying beeps.

thanks for the help

format and reinstall, don't use the repair option! It takes all of 20 minutes to install xp! (with a half decent computer) Since you just did it you shouldn't be to attached to it all ready!!

Edit - and don't forget to install your mobo chipset drivers!

^ well after using the repair function, everything seems to be going fine now. i'm not sure what happened but the loading times are to my liking! if there is a problem that i am un-aware about by using the repair function please let me know then i will reformat and reinstall windows xp again.

the only problem i am having now is the chassis fan being slow (400-500 rpm) with the chipset fan at 6490 rpm & cpu fan at 1250 rpm.

the chassis manual (gigabyte 3d aurora for the case) states the fans spin at 1200rpm..

thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom