Firewall/Router from old/new parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyPotseed

Baseband Member
I was browsing through a thrift shop this morning and I ran across a new Shuttle A161 MB and an AMD Athlon Thunderturkey 900 Mhz processor. They were asking thirty bucks for the pair, but I got them to take twenty for it. I have baically everything I need to build a system from the MB and CPU except a heatsink and fan. I have 512 megs of memory and a Thermaltake 400 watt 20 pin PSU. What I would like to do is put it together and use it as a Linux based firewall/router. Mostly just something to play with. I am looking for some suggestions as to how I should go about this. Here are a few questions

How difficult is it to configure a router with Linux? I am pretty proficient with MSDOS, but have only a little experience with Linux.

What flavor and build would best run on this system?

Where can I find info on this board? Tried Shuttles site and Google with out much success.

Anything else anyone might think of to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: Don't know if this is the right forum for this topic. If not could one of the higher-ups put it in its proper place, and accept my appoligies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom