firewall - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

AVG certainly isn't bad, I'm running it on a couple of my PCs but its not going to save your a$$ if you go to any dodgy sites.

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

Quote:
Originally posted by Jby
Zone alarm is reasonable, but personally I use Sygate Personal Firewall and wouldn't swap it for anything.
You do know norton bought them right?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCoffee
AVG certainly isn't bad, I'm running it on a couple of my PCs but its not going to save your a$$ if you go to any dodgy sites.

I take your point, but I don't go there, are we talkin' Warez for example, been there not good for my old system
Old 05-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by FlashDude
You do know norton bought them right?

Nah, not up with it all i'm afraid, Norton in the distant past I've used, too invasive for me, I'm just a simple old fart, likes to keep things simple. I've got a "new" computer coming, an Acer 2.8G with XP Home, 40G HDD, so will look fgorward to getting some tips here from you guys!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jby
Junior Techie

I definately go for the policy based Sygate over application control Zone Alarm.
MrCoffee: the reason you may not see Sygate blocking anything is because it doesn't log half the things ZoneAlarm does and just seems them as petty threats and blocks them without alerting you and this isn't an opinion it is a fact that it doesn't always log like ZA.

ZoneAlarm is a perfectly good firewall, there's no doubting that, but to say Sygate is weak is a huge understatement, it is anything but weak.
The policy absed sygate means you can control outgoing and incomming communication to a greater affect, and it also acts as an application controlled firewall, offering you what ZA does and more.

As for AVG, never met quite such a useful antivirus in my life. Tested it only roughly four weeks ago, 3 PCs, 3 Antiviruses (AVG, Avast, NOD32) and put the same crap on them all.
They were all updated with full definitions but AVG didn't pick up half of what avast/NOD32 did.

NOD32 is relatively unheard of, but a very sound and secure antivirus and I guess the £23 for it is a very reasonable price for what your getting, but im a cheapskate and stick with avast.

What I'm currently running is avast!, Sygate, Ad-Aware personal and CCCleaner.
Unfortunately, Spybot won't run on this machine but if it did I would be using it hands down - it gives me some error when I attempt to download updates to the database and won't scan without them.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jby

Unfortunately, Spybot won't run on this machine but if it did I would be using it hands down - it gives me some error when I attempt to download updates to the database and won't scan without them.
Have you tried using other servers to download from? I've had this sort of problem a few times before and usually it was because the particular server that was selected was down.
However once it was because a virus had cripled spybot itself.

I used sygate for a couple of years but I found outpost easier to use and more powerful. Sygate firewall is pre firehole/leaktest etc so its not really safe to use anymore

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Closed Thread