Finally figured out my memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAC34

Baseband Member
I went to the Gateway website. they show that my system that i purchased has 512MB PC4200 533Mhz DDR2 240 pinn Dual-Channel memory. So i ordered 2 PNY Dual Channel 1 GB PC4200 DDR2 533 MHz 240 pinn memory. I thyink I finally have this right.

As long as your laptop supports 2GB of memory, yea...

I have a desktop computer, and it suports up to 4GB of memory. I finally found out the proper info, I don't know why i didn't think of it in the first place. All i had to do was go to gateway, the people who made this computer and in suport give them my serial number. That brought up when my warranty was up and everything that is in my machine. It showed installed 512 MB PC4200 DDR2 Dual channel memory, installed in two 256 MB, and its expandable to 4GB.:)

Cool...I don't know where I got the idea, it was a laptop. But it's good to know, that everything went well.

If you Gateway supports 4GB of RAM, it doesn't mean you'll get the whole usage of 4GB. You'll need to get Vista Ultimate 64bit (I think it's this OS) to get your computer to show the usage of all 4GB. Otherwise, it'll probably run at 2GB or so.

Once you install your RAM, disable paging file. Your performance will be much better.

right click my computer -> properties -> advanced -> settings (performance) -> advanced -> change (virtual memory)

click "no paging file", then "set", then "ok"

restart

but don't try this until you get your new RAM

If you Gateway supports 4GB of RAM, it doesn't mean you'll get the whole usage of 4GB. You'll need to get Vista Ultimate 64bit (I think it's this OS) to get your computer to show the usage of all 4GB. Otherwise, it'll probably run at 2GB or so.

:) Yeah, I know it would not recognize the full 4GB, but i am not installing 4GB, Im putting in 2 GB. If I was to put in the full 4 GB my system may recognize like 3.5 GB or something along that line but not nessisarily the whole thing. I believe my system is 32bit. I dont need 4GB right now for what i do. It was good though that you mentioned this for those that might not understand.

The way i understand it I could probably leave the Hynix ram that is in here and add the 2GB and have even more, But I want all the same make, so i will take the Hynix out and put in all PNY, im trusting the PNY because I have had it before and from my experience have had no problems with it. It seems to get good reviews to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom