Final question about my build - PSU - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Final question about my build - PSU

This one should be really quick and easy for any of the experienced people out there - I'm just getting a little nervous about my PSU (as I'm sure everyone does). I'm getting the Corsair 400w because of the price + reliable brand + rebate. I just want to make absolutely sure you guys all have my back that it will provide enough juice for what I'll be packin' here, namely an overclocked 4830/E5200. I think those will be the heavy hitters...I have heard that the 4830 alone (in the manual, even) says it needs a 450w supply, but then again I don't know if that's taking into account Corsair's quality parts (and I am aware of the rails vs. watts issue, I just don't much understand it). Someone put my fears to bed as I hear this is a great PSU, and let me know if you need my entire build to formulate a good speculation.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Final question about my build - PSU

I ran a 8800gts 640mb sli, E6600, 3hdd's, wirless card, 4 fans, 2 optical drives + my standard 6 usbs permentantly plugged in the back and intermittently an extra 2 for ipod and phone on 430W. In short it will be enough the manual just accounts for people who buy cheap psu's realistically you will only be using 250-300W I suspect
Closed Thread