final build

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
OK, here is the final product of what I am going to go with. Any suggestions/changes are more than welcome, especially if they bring the price down, lol. I decided to go with 2 HDD's and just put my OS and system stuff on the raptor. As I previously said, this is going to be for a lot of multitasking (I am at school and thats what it will mostly be used for) but in my free time I like to game so I want to be able to game on it as well. How will this hold up with some of the newer games out there? Should I add any fans or anything? Also, I will not overclock it. Never have and don't know how so I don't want to risk ruining it. Once it is old and I am getting a new one, I may experiment with OCing but not for a long time and not until I don't mind it getting ruined.

Case: Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TÃœV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

And: Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Optic drive: Newegg.com - PHILIPS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE interface (ATAPI) DVD Burner - Retail

Monitor:
Newegg.com - Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

Everything looks good. That rig will last your for years. It will play the new games pretty well. If you wanna save some more money, you can drop the raptor, and get another Seagate 320gb, and RAID 0 the two. It will be near the performance of a raptor.....less money, more space. I have that motherboard...and to be honest it overclocks pretty good, but few bugs here and there. You should use the black slots. Usually the yellow slots don't work. Maybe if you update the BIOS. People here will suggest the Gigabyte 965P-DS3, or maybe the MSI P6N, instead.

Quite a few are really worried, about overclocking. I was too, before I knew about it. But the first day I got my stuff, I overclocked it right away, and worked like a charm. Overclocking is very safe, these days. This is the guide I used:
Overclocking Guide - MajorGeeks Support Forums
and the guide from TF:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/overclocking-basics-temperature-guide-20319/
...but even if you don't overclock right now, the e6600 is powerful enough at stock.

Yeah, I don't think I will be overclocking for some time. You said this set up will handle most current games (is oblivion one of them?) but will it also multitask well? I think I will switch to two barracudas and run them in RAID 0

$100 for a plain black case? You could save some jack on that. Check the CoolerMaster Centurion line.

Yeah, I don't think I will be overclocking for some time. You said this set up will handle most current games (is oblivion one of them?) but will it also multitask well? I think I will switch to two barracudas and run them in RAID 0

Of course it will multitask well. Multitasking is nothing for a C2D.

I also agree with Trotter. He was mentioning a case like this:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
it's cheap and an overall good case.

The Centurion 5 is a loud case (maybe it is just my ears), I have one and equipped with Scythe 8 db Fans and a zalman gpu coolr on low, yet it is still louder than my aluminium mystique with stock cooler master fans. So, if sound is a factor, then you might just want to stick with the lian-li.

I guess I just figured Lian-li's were really good cases and that they stayed pretty cool and everything so it would be worth the $100. I suppose you're right. I don't know that I really want to get a bright, flashy kind of case though cuz I will probably be leaving it on all the time and it could get annoying at night. Or would it be better for the whole system to keep it shut down through the night? So back to the drawing board for a case!

My rig runs 24/7.

Easy solution for loud fans: replace them with quiet fans.

Haha, touche. Recommendations on quiet fans?? I believe I am going to go with the Centurion 5 or I might just go with something a little flashier, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom