File

Status
Not open for further replies.

4uvak

In Runtime
I recently had a file that weighted like 7 gigs i tried to delete it and it sayed
This file is to big for recycle bin do you want to delete it permanently
i said yes and it deleted and i had 7 more gigs avail.

do i need to delete again somewhere else or is it deleted?? it said permanently tho

I heard that it's not really deleted, it's just set aside until something else overwrites it.

what's your "free space" say when you select the drive it was on? did it go down 7GB?

it has been deleted but may be recoverable. the basics of it is that a formatted hard drive has a file table for each partition. that table basically states where the file is (which may be in sections). when you delete a file to the recycle bin it is pretty much just shifted there. when it is deleted from the recycle bin the entry in the table that says where the file is is deleted. the data itself will still be there until something else physically writes over it.

anyway some hard drives don't really delete stuffs, i think you need special programs to delete them permantly. like your 7 gig stuffs when you delete it, the hard drive would show 7 gig less used space but the real data is still there it's just that another data would write on top of the original 7 gig space. and for the when you tries to put them in the trash can and it told you and it's too big, it saids that because that space you allocated for the trash can is too small to contain it. right click your trash can and you can change the size for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom