I've been browsing around the forums a bit recently, and was wondering on a few questions that I haven't found yet. I plan on building my own PC for gaming (WoW for now, D3 later, maybe some inbetweeners, maybe some movies, not sure what else really, mostly for WoW etc.) and although I am not completely illiterate in the lingo of computers, there are some things I have a few quesitons on.
1. Dual Core vs. Quad Core: Currently, as it stands, I hear dual core is more optimal for gaming, as most games won't be able to take advantage of all four cores. So, would it be wiser to go with a beefed up dual core (E8500 area, definitely ~3.0+GHz cores)? Or how long is it going to be until quad cores are going to be used by games? If it is going to be over the next few years, would it be smarter to just go with the quad now? I'm going to be a sphmr next semester in college, so having this last me for the next several years would be highly awesome. Off topic but...i7? no idea on what it is, but i hear everyone on here talking about it. What is it?
2. DDR2 vs. DDR3: Again, how much better is the DDR3? I also need a mobo that is going to be able to use the DDR3, correct? Is it better to go with the DDR3 straight away? How much of a difference is there?
3. Again, Mobo: I have no idea on anything with these, so anything you can provide would be awesome. All the numbers just confuse the **** out of me lol (like I said, not illiterate, but no pro either).
4. Video Cards: Are the GTX's going to just be paying for power I won't use? Running things like WoW etc. on say...a 22" monitor (I hear if you go 24"+ you start to need some real beastly vid cards, like running two at once with crossfire etc.), or will it be worth it in the long haul?
That's all I can think of right now, looks like a lot tho lol.
This is what I was thinking of running currently as it stands (price not figured out yet)
- Intel dual core processor (3.0+GHz)
- Nvidia Geforce 9800 or better, depending on price (cost vs. use)
- 4GB DDR3 RAM (unless DDR2 is going to be wiser)
- 22" monitor (1680 x 1050 Res.; Samsung, are there better brands?)
- Not sure on Mobo, like I said, confuses me
- would a 650W power supply be good? I see everyone recommending the corsair TX, so it seems logical
- 1TB 7200RPM seagate
- Antec 900 case (excessive? or just right?)
I can provide links to newegg if necessary, but those are the main things I was worried about, so if anyone could just give me a heads up on mobo info etc. The rest I pretty much got down, but if there's anything you'd recommend or advise, lemme know, just need those few things cleared up. THANKS