So first ill start out with my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel core 2 duo @ 2.93Ghz
3GB Ram
Nvidia 440GT 1GB
640GB Hard Drive.. dont really care about the specs on that
Some stock 300W power supply...
Um i think thats everything important

So anyways i will be getting skyrim in a few days and IM FRICKING STOKED. but im also wondering, will i be able to pull of medium, maybe pretty please high?

If not, im thinking i need to upgrade ram to 8GB, that would be an easy upgrade that would definitely increase my computers performance, but would it make a difference with all my other components? Would skyrim run better or would i need a bunch of other better components?

My second unrelated question is that i am thinking about upgrading my CPU. I have a stock HP p6250t, so im wondering if the motherboards in those will allow the changing of a CPU to a newer intel processor or AMD processor? I want to go this route because then i will still have Windows on my computer without having to re-buy it. Im assuming i will also need to upgrade my power supply?

Any help or suggestions here are appreciated

8GB is pretty much overkill. The latest games don't use more than 4GB. Unless you like to run a lot of programs in the background, as I do, then the extra RAM will help. 8GB will not help you much in gaming.

What CPU is that? Looks like a E7500 comparing your list to HP's site. You can't use AMD with an Intel motherboard. You could update the CPU, but the Q8400 is ~$150. Not really a performance boost.

If you want to upgrade your graphics card, you first need a new power supply.

What is your budget?

Ok well i had read on some forums that 8GB was a good idea for skyrim so i was just wondering.

I believe it is the E7500, and yes thats what i figured that i wouldn't be able to use the AMD processors. With this motherboard i wouldn't be able to use some of the newer i5 intel processors? Could i get a new motherboard too or would windows not work?

believe it or not i recently got that graphics card so i guess i wont upgrade that for a while.

I dont really have a budget, i am just looking for suggestions on how to upgrade my performance, but within a few hundred dollars. Anything over that would be pointless as it would be better to just get a new computer which i plan to do in a few years.

Until the game is actually released no one is really going to know how much ram is really needed to make it run the best. I suggest trying it out with what you have 1st and then you'll be able to make a wiser decision.

Your motherboard won't support the newer sandy bridge cpus, 8gb as stated is currently over kill for most games though I haven't looked at skyrims recommended specs.

Upgrading your graphics card would be a big boost but as stated you'll need a stronger power supply.

For the settings you're wanting you're looking looking at replacing almost all your current build.

Well, no duh, it's a 775 socket board. :p

You could build a new computer, using your old parts, for less than $700. You'll have to reinstall Windows, of course.

explain what you mean? and i think what im gonna do is get the game and see how it performs. really its gonna be an amazing game even if i dont run it on ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom