A few questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorny264

Beta member
Hey i brought a barebones computer not long ago and all i need to get it to work is a hard drive and cd drive, is it possible to take both of these from my old computer for the time being because i can't afford new ones. I'm pretty sure the cd drive will be fine but i have heard that the operating system on the hard drive is sort of stuck to one motherboard unless you have the install/recovery cds, is this true?

also is there a video guide on how to remove and install parts on a computer?

thanks

THat is true. Most other parts will be interchangeable with the except of process and ram (even those and interchangeable but you have to get the same sock type).

As for the hard drive the only time you can 'plug and play' a hard drive from one PC to the other is if the manufacturer of both motherboards are similar and require similar drivers. Otherwise the OS will not load because it won't know what hardware to load at startup.

Google what part you want to remove and there will be hundreds of videos on youtube on how to remove that part.

One snag you might run into is if the old hard drive and optical drive are ATA/IDE (flat ribbon cable) and your new motherboard is completely SATA or only has one ATA connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom