A few question about building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Beta member
I have always built my own PC's and have had no problems but I have not been keeping up with new technology because I didn't need a new PC.

Now I would likw to build a new 64 bit system, I have always used Asus montherboards and would like to stay that way. I have never used RAID because I had no need to but now on this new system I'd like to connect 4 hard drives, is RAID the only option for this or are there others.

Another thing that has me a bit confused is the dual core cpu's, I have always used Intel and currently have a P4 2.4 GB

Looking at some of the new dual core cpu's it doesn't look like they have gone up in GB's , is a dual core cpu say like a 2.4 GB the same as having the power of 2 2.4 cpu's?

besides answering the questions I have asked I would appreciate if anyone would give me some suggestions on what they think my best choices would be staying with Asus and Intel.

I don't want to build a mega gammer power rig I just want a nice quick system for home use and would like to keep my cost as low as possible but still having quality products.

I'll appreciate any and all input

Thanks

Intel stopped updating P4 in Feburary 2004. I suggest to buy a new intel core 2 duo or core 2 extreme, depending on your budget.

the CPU/mobo is a good combo, not too much power needed and gives you room to play if you want.

the GPU gives you the room to play some games at decent setting, if you decide you want to, but it's not that costly.

the ram is DDR2, pretty much todays standard, 667 is a good "middle of the road" type of ram DDR2 800 is good but usually on the pricey side... but the 667 gives you the speed you want for basic apps.

the PSU gives you the option to expand of you want and still have room to work with, plus Antec is a good brand in general

the HDD is a 16MB cache 250GB.... PLENTY of room, and the speed to match...

the rest is preference... but I basically choose those parts for:

non-gaming
basic system apps
good quality parts
upgradability

He said that he wanted 4 HD's. I would go with something like 4 160GB HD's. I would also go with Segate HD's cause they are less likely to crash.

In over 12 years I have never used anything but Maxtor hard drives and that is all I will use. NEVER has one crash yet.

I already have my drives bought, so I am mainly looking for a Asus motherbaord that can handle 4 hard drives.

Still nobody has answered my original questions ????

About the CPU's? Well a CPU doesn't necessarily have increase in clock speed to increase in its performance. The Core 2 Duo's will complete a lot more instructions per clock cycle, therefore being faster even though it has a lower clock speed.
With the Dual Core, each core is running at the suggested speed but for example it doesn't mean a dual core 2.4Ghz CPU is runnings at 4.8Ghz.
Dual Core is mainly for multi-tasking which is where it's advantages come in.

The motherboard Ste suggested has 5 SATA ports. IMO, Maxtor is crap, but they joined with Seagate so I'm not %100 sure....I'd still go with Seagate but you already have your drives. Ohwell. Everything else is looking pretty sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom