A few more Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toryn

In Runtime
Sorry to bug ya all again but:

About aftermarket HS/F, things like the Thermalright Ultra 120 do they need another fan to be bought with it to work effectively or just general good air flow throughout the case?

Would the ultra 120 combined with an E2180 allow me to reach speeds such as 3.5-3.8GHz (in an Antec 900/P182 case)? Was thinking of getting an E2180 in place of a Q6600 as the Q6600 are now £170 (rather then the old £125) for the G0 version and it's not truely needed.

If an 8800gts 312MB and HD2900Pro 512MB were exactly the same price, which would be the better choice (and both work on the Gigabyte P35-DS3R right)?

Nearly there, could someone point me towards an FAQ or somesuch that explains how to keep everything together while overclocking? (ie keeping RAM and FSB 1:1 I think it is?).

Finally could someone suggest a couple of good 17" or 19" monitors I could get from Ebuyer or Overclockers as I'm clueless what constitutes "good" in monitors.

no worries you can bug us all day thats the joy of forums once one of us gets bored there are a thousand more to lend advice :).

1. The thermalright ultra can be used as a passive cooler but your airflow within the case would have to be extremely good so it is much safer to add a decent fan to the cpu cooler

2. wow I am no expert I think you would need watercooling to reach those speeds stably not air I have heard the average from an E2180 with air cooling is about 3.3ghz

3. I believe the HD2900 is better at stock although the 800gts may over take it when overclocked

4. just post your problems in the overclocking section or use the search feature, there are a couple of guides here and there which are stickied

5. don't forget Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK (free shipping when you join hexus forums) and dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players

well you would want a 19" widescreen monitor with atleast 1000:1 contrast ratio, 1440x900 resolution and a response time below 8ms, Samsung make good monitors aswell as viewsonic, dell, acer

3.3GHz would do me. About the CPU fan how is it mounted? Having not actually seen either case makes me worried about buying the heatsink only to then have to wait (and pay more) for another fan and then not know how to mount it.

The whole reason I was going with the E2180 was all the good reviews on how overclockable it was for such a low price heh.

Also thank you for those 2 sites, I remember Scan now but dabs is new to me :p

The e2180 has been clocked as far as 3.2 on the stock cooling. You really dont need a high end cooler for it. As for the video cards, the gts 320 is most likely going to be cheaper than the 2900 pro. Also you might look into getting a 20" monitor as they are usually only a bit more than a 19" and this gives you 1650x1080 resolution.

you should use a cpu cooler on every pc build it gives better stability and longer life of the cpu by keeping it cooler with the same level of speed. the gts 320 and 2900 pro are almost the same price at scan...... Depends on your budget or atleast what is left I assume you currently have a computer it may be better to save up and buy a monitor later rather then lowering other components just so you have the cash to buy a new monitor when you already have a perfectly working one infront of you

The monitor isn't for me personally its for my brother. We've both saved up and are buying new computers while this one goes to the rents as a family one :p

He's stuck on a CRT and is adamant about getting an LCD despite me telling him its better to wait (thats another story though and he doesn't game as much as me anyway ¬¬).

When buying a separate CPU cooler should I/do I need to get a tube of thermal compound? Such as MX-2 or arctic silver?

budgets at £800 maybe 850 tops and I'm slowly settling on:

GPU:eVGA 8800gts 320MB
CPU:E2180
PSU:Corsair HX 520W
Mobo:Gigabyte P35C-DS3R <--- shush about the "C" its still cheaper and more availiable then the non "C" :p
RAM:Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2x2
HDD:Seagate 320GBx2

Case:Antec P182
HSF:Thermalright ultra 120 and fill the last 2 fan slots on the case with Antec TriCool <--- Iffy about this, would that be enough too keep it all well ventilated?

Get either of those choices for thermal compound as its inexpensive anways. I know you can pick up artic silver at most places like circuit city and stuff. I don't know what you guys have over there for stores so if you didnt want to order it.

mx-2 is the better thermal compound I believe ocuk has it unsure though artic silver 5 is great to its what I used.

I would definitely get an extra fan for your cpu cooler if your expecting such high overclocks as it would be really pushing the limit of passive cooling.

Case wise get the special edition version so much cooler
Kustom PCs Antec P182 SE Special Edition (Mirror Finish)

btw kustom is another great store and if you have any obscure parts you might want they will source them especially for you :D half of there parts aren't posted on the website so if your wondering about something then email them they normally reply in under 30 mins

pfffft but the silver case is so naaasty. Is it better in terms of airflow then the normal one then?

And would the 5 fans in the P182 be enough to clock the E2180 to a reasonable speed at a reasonable temperature? (Being completely unsure *where* on the case these fans go I'm only guessing).

the special edition doesn't have any extra specs it is just polished and in my eyes alot more aesthetically pleasing but its you who has to live with it.

why do you have such a reluctance to put a fan on the cpu???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom