A Few Hardrive Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
ok im getting a new pc. i have a few questions about different things i want to do..first i want to take out the hardrive from the pc im currently using and put it in the new pc as a 2nd drive..first how do i do this do i just put it in with everything still on the drive or do i have to format it.i dont think i should have to format it the only thing that concerns me is the operating system being on the 2nd drive and the first one so please advise how i should handle this.also when adding a 2nd drive is there anything special i have to do when i add it..what will happen when i add it then boot do i have to set anything special up if so what do i do.

do i just put it in with everything still on the drive or do i have to format it.

Data files would still be usable, but not programs/applications.

When you add it, boot to BIOS and make sure the comp "sees" the new drive.

Best thing for you to do would be to drag the data files from the old drive to the new drive, format the old drive, then move your data files back to the old drive.

iamloco724 said:
would the the windows xp on the 2nd drive conflict with the one on the new pc

No. If the drive is configured as a slave drive then the PC will boot from the master drive, not the slave. You'll still be able to see all the system files on the second drive for the OS, but it wont boot from that OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom