Fan hook up question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Fan hook up question

I am about to build a new computer ( never done it ) and need some help and explanations as to fan hook up.
My case is an Antec 9000,motherboard Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless Edition.

The fans have a connector with 4 pins on one side and 4 "holes" on the other side.I assume that the 4 pins get
connected to the power supply which delivers 12 volts to turn the fan.

I assume the connectors with the 4 "holes" get connected to the motherboard but I do not understand what the
purpose of that connection is.It seems to me that the fans already have power ( from the power supply ).

I appreciate if you could explain where I am wrong

RobertXYZ

Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Fan hook up question

it is for daisy chaining, as fans require little power...pass through to other things that you may or may not add

Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

only one needs to be connected, it has 2 connectors just so you can minimize the amount of wires needed to connect everything. its basically for your convenience. so just plug one in so it is receiving power.

also by 4 pins and 4 holes you mean a 4 pin molex connector. if not then like go on google and find a pic of what you mean.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
only one needs to be connected, it has 2 connectors just so you can minimize the amount of wires needed to connect everything. its basically for your convenience. so just plug one in so it is receiving power.

also by 4 pins and 4 holes you mean a 4 pin molex connector. if not then like go on google and find a pic of what you mean.
I am not sure what it is called,I guess a molex connector.It has 4 pins
and 4 female pins on the same connector.The motherboard has several
connections for the fans which confuses me.

Thanks

RobertXYZ
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

As was mentioned, the four holes (female end) is for linking multiple molex connections together ( PSU-->Fan1-->Fan2-->Fan3) so that one connection from the PSU therefore powers multiple fans (I usually stick with two fans per connection but 3 on rare occasions), decreases the clutter in the case. The connections on the mobo are also to power fans, just different pin options. Some mobos let you regulate fan speed if connected to them.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The connections on the motherboard are different. They are 3 pin connectors which allow you to control fan speed from the BIOS.

Closed Thread