Fan - Exhaust or Intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernerd777

Beta member
Excessive heat can do no good to a computer system, so I decided to add a fan. The only fans my computer has right now is the one in the power supply and the CPU fan. I've only got one fan mount. Should my fan be an exhaust fan to suck hot air out, or an intake fan to suck in cool air? The power supply has a (very wimpy) exhaust fan.

Thanks.

Exhaust.

Its best to have one intake and one exhaust, but since you only have one mount like myself; Exhaust.

Is it customary to have 1 exhaust for every intake?

What about 1 exhaust, but 3 fans mounted randomly on different components inside?

Jayce said:
Is it customary to have 1 exhaust for every intake?

What about 1 exhaust, but 3 fans mounted randomly on different components inside?

It's better to have more exhaust, though, 1 exhaust per 1 intake should be fine.

Are the fans connected to the components? (i'm guessing you're talking about CPU fan, GPU fan, etc) Those are fine and should not be included in the exhaut/intake ratio.

Hmmm. New CPU fan.

Since I'm adding another fan, I thought I should probably replace my current CPU fan with a quieter model. It's already quite loud, and I fear my system may sound like a fully-loaded 747 at take-off after I install the exhaust fan. My question. What CFM rating should a CPU fan have? My processor is a Celeron 2.2 GHz.

Thanks.

You are supposed to have equally the amount of exhaust and intake fans.
Actually, you should have exhaust=intake, or exhaust>intake.

Having more exhaust will pull more hot air out of your case. Air will suck in through holes and vents in the case, but it won't push back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom