External HDDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
what's a good external HDD, about 100GB+ for video transfering. I'd like to have Firewire instead of USB, but i'm not sure what's good. I own two internal WD's which i love so maybe a WD would be good???

~thanks

Buy an External Enclosure then Buy a Internal HD of your choice, its much cheaper then Buying a prebuilt External HD.
Enclosure
HD

Now thats just an example, but still, I love that HD. :)

Ste said:
Buy an External Enclosure then Buy a Internal HD of your choice, its much cheaper then Buying a prebuilt External HD.
Enclosure
HD

Now thats just an example, but still, I love that HD. :)

do enclosures exist that go from SATA (HDD) to USB (MOBO)? because the computer here is only IDE and i would prefer to not have to open the computer every time i wanted to use this external HDD.

the sata or ide with an enclosure is on the inside... you connect the hard drive to it, then the outside get connected to firewire or USB. the but connect between the HD and sata in transparent once you seat the drive.

Nukem said:
the sata or ide with an enclosure is on the inside... you connect the hard drive to it, then the outside get connected to firewire or USB. the but connect between the HD and sata in transparent once you seat the drive.

o got it.

Nukem said:

Erm, Im not a grammer Police Kind of Guy, But Wow. No Offense.

Yes, The Harddrive is connected internally and then, depending on what you buy you would then use either USB, Firewire Or SATA connection, to connect the Motherboard

You can Either buy a SATA or EIDE Harddrive, Just make Sure that the Enclosure you buy has the Same Internal Connection as the Harddrive you buy.

Is there any decrease in performance of the hard drive, when it's in an enclosure via USB or firewire, compared to as if it were connected directly to the mobo?

Well, I guess there would be an Extremely small Decrease, But nothing you would notice.

I take that Back, Probably nothing. At least I don't Notice anything with mine.

Oh btw, its a good idea to an enclosure with a Fan in it, cause HD's get pretty hot in confined Spaces.

And If yoy get a SATA drive with a SATA connection on the enclosure then it would be directly connected to motherboard anyways

Ste said:
And If yoy get a SATA drive with a SATA connection on the enclosure then it would be directly connected to motherboard anyways

How would it directly be connected to the mobo, if it's being connected to the USB ports?

If you have a SATA Port on your motherboard, you can get a Enclosure with a SATA Connection on it, thus, you would just use a SATA Cable to go from the Enclosure to the Motherboard.

There are many ways to connect a enclosure, USB, Firewire, SATA and even Ethernet.

And Unless you have a PCI USB Card or a FireWire USB Card, your still directly connecting it the the motherboard. Most motherboards now a days have a Few Onboard USB And Or Firewire Ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom