External Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey All,

I'm trying to retire my old external hard drive that used to be a system drive because the permissions issue and speed after an OS upgrade is really getting to me. I want to stay in the 100-130 range for price and really only need about 160gb (I know that's paltry at this point but just for reference)

My question is should I get something like these external hard drives:

Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive: Electronics (I know its not out yet)

Amazon.com: Transcend StoreJet TS500GSJ25F 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable…

or should I just get an internal hard drive and enclose it myself. My computer is a bit old so I'm only working with USB 2.0 and Firewire (though I'm not sure which version of Firewire) I'm really just looking for transfer speed and reliability over other software features i.e. I don't really need backup software included and I'm not fussy about if it needs power.

Just in case here is the computer I'm working with. (Upgraded to Win7 64Bit)
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire ASE380-ED401A Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2GB DDR2 250GB ATI Radeon X1650SE Windows Vista Home Premium

Thanks in advance. As always, any help would be appreciated.

seagate freeagents won't work in linux. they have power managment issues that kill the drives. beware!

sometimes they will do this in vista as well. don't trust them

instead buy an USB or ESATA enclosure and buy an internal HD. much cheaper and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom