Expansion card question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Expansion card question

so i have seen these a few times, in various connectors and quantity. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA2RP5XX0586
i understand why someone would want to use one of these vs. buying a new mobo. but where would the new pcb get mounted, so there would be no electrical problems, while still using the expansion slots on the back of the case?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Expansion card question

This is for mining so it wouldn't be in a typical chassis.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
so i have seen these a few times, in various connectors and quantity. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA2RP5XX0586
i understand why someone would want to use one of these vs. buying a new mobo. but where would the new pcb get mounted, so there would be no electrical problems, while still using the expansion slots on the back of the case?
If you are using a full atx case, witha micro atx board then these can be mounted below the atx board in the slots which are still open.
TheDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
This is for mining so it wouldn't be in a typical chassis.
i have seen a little bit about this mining. but i don;t really know anything about it. something about making money with a graphics card and some sort of algorithm?

Quote:
f you are using a full atx case, witha micro atx board then these can be mounted below the atx board in the slots which are still open.
i am running a micro atx board in an atx case. i guess i could make room for 2 extra slots if i had to. but it would take some work. as of now, i have 3 empty slots, so i am ok. but i am not so sure they are going to stay that way.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
i have seen a little bit about this mining. but i don;t really know anything about it. something about making money with a graphics card and some sort of algorithm?

i am running a micro atx board in an atx case. i guess i could make room for 2 extra slots if i had to. but it would take some work. as of now, i have 3 empty slots, so i am ok. but i am not so sure they are going to stay that way.
There's no point in using this honestly as besides mining it has no practical use.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i do not really think i would. i would have to have a real NEED before i would try to cobble up the best computer i have ever had.