error message when turning computer on

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I get this message when I turn on my bro's computer, but after that it seems to be working fine....until it turns off.

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.A
Copyright 1985-2000 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

Copyright 2000 by Hewlett Packard, Inc
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: E77B
Mouse initialized
ATAPI CD-ROM: LG CD-RW CED-8083B
Fixed Disk 0:WDC WD307AA-00BAA00
System Configuration Data updated
ERROR
0270: Real time clock error
ERROR
0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default Configuration used
ERROR
0280: Previous boot incomplete - Default Configuration used

F1 Setup F2 Resume

What does all this mean?

It's dead or messed up or something? And where can I get these batteries. They look like watch batteries.

A checksum error is generated when the CMOS information present after the POST (Power On Self Test) does not match the settings at the previous shutdown.

Are you powering down your PC properly?

Replace the battery and perhaps reset the CMOS using the reset jumper on Motherboard. The RTC (Real Time Clock) error is indicitive of a bad battery....yeah, try that first.

Hope this helps.

b1gapl said:
It's dead or messed up or something? And where can I get these batteries. They look like watch batteries.

You could probably get them at a RadioShack-type store. Just ensure that the model numbers match exactly and that the power specs are the same (take the old battery with you, just don't lose it).

I found out that the battery is a Maxell CR2032 3V. When I looked around for it on the internet, I found alot of the same model number and voltage...but the company is different like energizer etc. Does the company matter?

b1gapl said:
I found out that the battery is a Maxell CR2032 3V. When I looked around for it on the internet, I found alot of the same model number and voltage...but the company is different like energizer etc. Does the company matter?

The manufacturer is not important (other than name-reliablility). As long as the voltage and specs match you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom