Emachine Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Emachine Upgrade

I've recently gotten an emachine from my dad ("An emachine? WHY?!" I can imagine you all screaming now!), and am wondering what type of upgrades I can get for it, and if I would be able to take the parts from the emachine and put them into an old PC case (as its bigger and it doesn't look like there is a lot of space left in the emachine case for upgrades). I do have a friend that will be able to help me gut the old case and move the emachine stuff over if I am able to do it at all, but neither of us know if it is a good idea so he suggested I look around online first before we try anything. I am also unable to order things online (no credit card or paypal) but there are local shops here I can check for parts.

I do play World of Warcraft, so I would like something that can run on medium-high graphics with at least 20 fps. I can currently afford around $350 CAD, and possibly another $200 within the next week if I need to dip into that to get what I am looking for in.

My old case does have a fairly new (I think it is new, my dad bought it last year) PSU in it... here is a picture as I'm not sure what information from it anyone would need to know. Everything else from the old case is very old, the pc is 9 years old and was given to me by my dad, so almost everything in there is about ready to die out, besides a new hard drive & the power supply.

Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide about the emachine or old case..I hope this helps.
EL1321-02c
AMD Athlon II X2 215 dual-core processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated
3 GB DDR2 memory
220 watt PSU

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Ruby

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Default Re: Emachine Upgrade

what is the model # of the emachines?

and what are those specs you listed from? they can't be from the emachines if it is 9 yrs old, unless they had a time machine O_o

Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry, I was probably a bit confusing.
The specs are for the emachine which is pretty new I think, and the model is EL1321-02c (I think. That is what shows on the side). The power supply is from the older computer but was just bought last year as a replacement (not for the emachine - but I am wondering if I could use it with the emachine parts if necessary).
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

You could move all the emachines components into the old case as long as neither use a propriety layout. Certainly there is no harm in trying it.
The PSU should work but since the one it has currrently works fine I see no reason to change it unless the cables won't reach, besides, that sparkle unit is low quality anyway.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, thanks! I saw somewhere that the power supply in emachines always die out really fast, thats why I mentioned the other one I have. As for the cables, it looks like they will reach, but I will find that out for sure later tonight!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Put it this way, both PSUs are probably low quality but the sparkle one is definitely low quality. What do you currently have in the emachines?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread