E8500 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes. My initial OS will be WinXP just so I can access all my current apps etc. I have some old stuff and I'm sure some of it won't work.

I'm thinking of setting up a dual boot to Vista-64 or Win7-64 depending on which is available when I have the time to do this. Then I hope to be able to migrate my stuff over to the new system.

I was wondering, is there an upgrade path for WinXP-32 -> (Vista|Win7)-64? And how well does this work? If I got a drive with identical geometry to my current one, I might be able to do a direct copy of the disk over and then go the upgrade route on the cloned drive.

Wow, I see a gtx 280 for $290 and a gtx 285 for $310. The one with the lifetime warranty and a free game is $25 more. Drooooool....

The 4890 just popped out for 250 to 275 bucks. I would get this one:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Also, check out this link for how to use Sysprep: How to: Upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows. - [H]ard|Forum

I think that's what you're looking to do. But Honestly, I would just write Vista 64, then Win7 64 on a new HDD, then siphon your files. As for applications, not sure what stuff you have, you'd have to look up which stuff would be compatible.

Get the Sunbeam , but I suggest you get another just in case. Read these and other reviews regarding Gigabyte ud3r and ud3p boards and the Sunbeam Sunbeam CCF 92 and Gigabyte UD3R Boards = NO NO !! - CPU/Mobo Corner - TechEnclave GA-EP45-UD3R + Sunbeam CR-CCT - EXTREME Overclocking Forums Sunbeam CCF on a GA-EP45-UD3R? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net P.S. Be sure to post your results...with pics , please...a lot of us are curious if the Sunbeam will indeed fit these boards!! Thanks and

:)Happy building!!

Well, I wasn't courageous enough to try the Sunbeam so I got the Dark Knight instead. I think I would need a Dremel to make the Sunbeam work (voiding the warranty and with my luck breaking the board lol).

Tom's Hardware has some benchmarks up on the 4890. It looks like the gtx-260-core-216 is still a very good price performer (it's slightly better than the 4870-1g). The gtx-285 rules the 1-card/1-gpu roost, but man it's pricey ($325 vs. $180 for the 260).

I love figuring out which hardware performs better as much as the next guy, but remember that at the end of the day, most of the cards named will be more than satisfactory. Don't fret over it too much. : )

Sales are my biggest buying point.

The good news is that I still have my 3 year old SAPPHIRE Radeon X1800XT 512MB. :p

That board was expensive when I bought it, so I think I'll wait a bit and see where the prices go.

Do you guys know how promotions work at Newegg? They have a $10 promotion discount on the processor I just ordered. Is there a way to get them to apply the promotion retroactively?

Can you guys recommend a decent 20" LCD for gaming? I think I can fit a 19" or 20". I'm also wondering if 1680x1250 is better than 1600x1200 (I like to play some older games).

Do you guys have any advice on this?

Do you mean 1680x1050? What do you mean "better"? I personally like 1680x1050, and use it for my desktop and most games.

Acer is a good lower end monitor. Although I don't really think more expensive monitors are much better. I'd personally go with this, unless I could find a sale on something else.

Newegg.com - Acer X203Wbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 ACM - LCD Monitors

I have the 22" version of this, and love it. I imagine this would be an excellent monitor.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2033SW Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1 (1000:1) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors

Acer makes great monitors. I have the X223 22" and love it. You'll want 1680 x 1050 resolution, 1600 x 1200 is for non-widescreen monitors.

Thanks guys! I went with the Acer you pointed to above (x203wbd). It's very nice (using it with my Linux lappy). I saw it at microcenter for the same price. I also bought a 500G WD cavier which I'm hoping to use to backup my current 400G one (I couldn't find the same drive geometry which is a bummer).

I noticed newegg is having a special on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - $80 (with promotion code). You have to subscribe to get that $20 off. I'm tempted to get a copy sooner than later.

I also saw that the gtx 275 should be available for purchase next week (egghead is listing it at $250 or so) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom