e6750 vs X2 Black Edition vs e4500, bang for buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
Fry's has both with an ECS mb, e6750 for $198, and the Black Edition for $189, which is better?

They also have the e4500 with a mb for $120, which would let me spend more money on other things.

I have from my old build things like Optical and Hard Drives.

I do compile code on a fairly consistent basis but my compile already only takes like 10 minutes on my 1.6ghz laptop, so its not that big a deal.

This will be a christmas present from my mom. I can probaly spend around $400, but less would be better.

I could also a psu. I have one but its a budget psu from a company no one's heard of. I would like to keep the expenditure of this low.

I have: Case, DVD burners, Hard drives.

I also have a socket 478 cpu and 2gbs DDR ram i'll prolly ebay once this is done for anything else i want to upgrade.

This build would not need to run games.
This build will run Linux.

I don't see any need for anything more then an e4500 if you aren't gaming, but thats just me. Plus with linux, it should be plenty.

What I am worried about is that the e4500 does not take 800mhz ram, which Fry's also has on sale and I was planning on buying.

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I'd appreciate it. Might be going tomorrow to buy.

I mean the motherboard that comes with it does not.

And I realize I never actually said, the Black Edition on sale is the 6400+.

Does anyone know how those two compare? The 6400+ Black vs the Intel C2D e6750?

I mean the motherboard that comes with it does not.

And I realize I never actually said, the Black Edition on sale is the 6400+.

Does anyone know how those two compare? The 6400+ Black vs the Intel C2D e6750?

the 6400 is not far off from the 6750.. its a pretty close race.. but taking under consideration the 6750 overclocks way higher.. we have a clear winner here...

Oh, they also have a 5600+ with an abit AN52 for $160, so here are the options:

Intel C2D e4500 and ECS 945GCT-M- $120
AMD X2 5600+ and Abit AN52- $160
AMD X2 6000+ and ECS GeForce6100SM-M- $160
AMD X2 6400+ Black and ECS NFORCE6M-A- $190
Intel C2D e6750 and ECS G31T-M- $200

Which do you guys think is the best value?

the 6400 is not far off from the 6750.. its a pretty close race.. but taking under consideration the 6750 overclocks way higher.. we have a clear winner here...

I was making my last post when you posted this. Thanks for the input.

I know ECS mbs are supposed to suck but my last 3 builds have had them with minimal problems fo the first 2 years. One of the combos has an Abit mobo, are they a good company?

Will I be able to overclock the e6750 much with a crappy ECS mb?

really depends on the model of ecs mobo.. i'll give it a look

buy my experience w/ abit.. has been a great one.. back in the AMD days i got my opteron 146 up to 2.99ghz which was amazing back then! lol

but reguardless of overclocking or not... the 6750 will be an amazing cpu... and the most part w/ ecs mobo's is that you can not change the voltage options... but 6750's can go pretty high w/o ever touching the voltage

okay, after viewing.. my guess would be a very.. i mean very small overclock from that board... but thats almost like getting a free mobo at that price.. my suggestion... buy that deal.. sell the board on ebay.. and buy something better w/ the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom