DVI vs Analog? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Nitestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: смерти для спаме
Posts: 8,473
Default

no the improvement depends on how much you believe what you are being told

there is virtually no difference between VGA and DVI. as far as i know the actual ouitput from a monitor is still analogue. the LCD screens just have an internal decoder to change the signal from digital to analogue. in any case the only real differences would be noticeable if you were a) trying to use an absurdly long monitor cable b) had a lot of electrical interference.
__________________

Nitestick is offline  
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

Well duh the output is analog

This is like crazy people in thinking that digital actually sounds better, when in reality it just gets rid of pops, hiss and 60-cycle hum that are major problems with having crappy audio cables. The output is still analog, and shall ever be analog because speakers, by their nature, are analog.
__________________

The General is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Well duh the output is analog

This is like crazy people in thinking that digital actually sounds better, when in reality it just gets rid of pops, hiss and 60-cycle hum that are major problems with having crappy audio cables. The output is still analog, and shall ever be analog because speakers, by their nature, are analog.
Speakers?? Talkn lcds here...

Anyways i tried both analog and digital connections to a Benq fv91v+ and a Viewsonic vp191b and I DID notice a clarity difference especially in text. However, i am very fussy, picky and observant so not everyone will probably notice...

Quote:
"An LCD (liquid-crystal display), on the other hand, like a computer, is a digital device. Manufacturers are increasingly putting both an analog and a digital connection on LCDs. When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal."


And heres another link for all you non believers:

http://www.directron.com/dviguide.html
__________________
LIAN LI PC-7B PLUS II
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W
P4 3.2
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
vaderpro is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by vaderpro
Speakers?? Talkn lcds here...
O RLY?? NO WAI! :amazed:

Quote:
Originally posted by vaderpro
Quote:
"An LCD (liquid-crystal display), on the other hand, like a computer, is a digital device. Manufacturers are increasingly putting both an analog and a digital connection on LCDs. When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal."


And heres another link for all you non believers:

http://www.directron.com/dviguide.html
I don't care what they say, our eyes are interpreting analog signals. There are not 1's and 0's being fed to my brain, and until then, its analog.
The General is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 325
Default

im usiong a dvi cable and although it will not make much difference, if u use higher resolutions it may just make a difference, and also, if ure monitor had a digital input, wouldnt it hav come with a dvi cable?
__________________
Athlon 64 3200+
GigaByte GA K8N-SLI
1GB Corsair Select Value
GigaByte 7300GS
80GB maxtor Hard Disk
Samsung Writemaster DVD-RWDL 16x
Thermaltake mambo case w/ 430 PSU
Windows XP Pro
17\" Proview LCD
mophead740 is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Nitestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: смерти для спаме
Posts: 8,473
Default

i agree with the general on this. the nature of a TFT screen implies that the actual display is produced by an analogue signal provided by the transistors. the signal is received via DVI and IS converted to an analogue signal that is fed through each pixel.

i think that should end this debate and we can get back on topic..........

DVI and VGA give basically the same picture in MOST circumstances
Nitestick is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
King X13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 987
Send a message via AIM to King X13
Default

These are to very good reads for this subject.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4520-3...ecoustics-cnet

That one tells you about the difference between DVI and Analog

This one is just interesting as how it says that CRT's are better then LCD's for everything including gaming.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4520-3...4.html?tag=txt
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
King X13 is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

They are also good for being 3 feet deep and weighing 85 pounds.

I'm over CRT's. Used to be a big fan, but now that I see the screen on my LAPTOP that looks better than my 21" Trinitron, I think it's time to go LCD again.
The General is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,829
Default

I bought an expensive lcd monitor that came with dvi but i didn't use it for about 1 week.

Than i used the cable and saw a huge difference in everything...

Dvi makes your screen faster...

Honestly i thought my pc got faster cause my monitor was just movin slow with the vga cable.
Norcent is offline  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Norcent
I bought an expensive lcd monitor that came with dvi but i didn't use it for about 1 week.

Than i used the cable and saw a huge difference in everything...

Dvi makes your screen faster...

Honestly i thought my pc got faster cause my monitor was just movin slow with the vga cable.

I believe you. Its just some people will argue water isnt wet.
__________________

__________________
LIAN LI PC-7B PLUS II
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W
P4 3.2
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
vaderpro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.