DVD Burner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I have a couple questions about DVD burning, and if its needed the software I am using is Roxio 8 and also Pro Show Gold.

If I want to copy a Movie DVD that I purchased to use and save the original will it copy in 5.1 suround sound just like the original.

I burn DVD's for clients all the time of there wedding that I photographed. I often sell several copies so want to be able to burn from a DVD to another DVD and not waste many disks trying.

I have a dvd rom, and a Sony DVD Model DWQ28A - OEM burner now but they were both cheap units. What would you sugest I get to do what I am wanting to do?

I'm not sure about the programs you are using. Dose the program your using have the option to burn a DVD to another DVD? If not, Nero6 Dose, Nero7 is out now, I'm sure it has the same option as Nero6 (Burn at once).

To back up your DVDs you need a program to get rid of that pesky copy protection, You can use "Any DVD"

If you want to make a couple copies of the same DVD you can use "Clone DVD or Nero6/7" You down load the DVD to you hard drive, Then you Just put a blank DVD in your DVD drive and hit copy, when that one is done, pop another blank DVD in the DVD drive and hit copy.....

In both Nero and Clone DVD you have the options to Copy the DVD "as is" or you can modify it to NOT have menus, DTS, 5.1, Subtitles or whatever you don't want. If you get rid of the menus, The DVD will automatically play when you put it in your DVD player (Very Nice:D).

Most movies on DVD are DL DVDs (dual layer) They are 8GBs. The regular blank DVDs are only 4.7GBs so if you want to burn a DL DVD(8GB) to a regular DVD (4.7GB) you have to compress it, witch will lower the quality, or you can take off the menus etc...

If you want to buy a new DVD burner, Make sure its a DL burner so when blank DL DVDs become cheaper you can use them, last time I checked a couple months ago blank DL DVDs where 15 bucks each:eek:

Clone DVD and Any DVD free Trials http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Nero7 free Trial http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

Good Luck:D

yep, almost all dvds are DL nowadays, DVD burners are probably the most worthwile purchase at the moment so in conclusion if you dont have one... GET ONE!!

Hi,

As DBD said, DL disks are a bit expensive compared to regular 4.7gb media...
I agree with DBD...to purchase a dual layer burner so that when DL disks get cheaper, you can use it...but for the time being, I suggest using a 4.7 gb disk...and compressing the original one...

I personally use Nero and sometimes Alcohol 120% for burning DVDs, and for shrinking, I use DVD Shrink (sometimes DVDX Copy platinum when DVD Shrink cant shrink enough, but 321 studios stoped making that product) I also use DVD Decrypter to get rid of copy protection and stuff...
Although the quality is less, it is not much noticable...I have been using DVD shrink (and the others) for quite some time now...and I havent noticed much difference between the original and the copy...
Also, as DBD said, you can remove unwanted extra features (like commentary or trailers or interviews) and some audio/subtitles, but Id rather keep it like the original...

If you prefer not shrinking, you can also break down the dvd into 2 discs...There are lots of programs that can do that...but then, each movie will be 2 discs...(thats annoying I guess!)

Hope that helps...
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom