Dual Xeon 2.2Ghz vs Single AMD 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelManual

Baseband Member
Quick question for everyone. I currently have a computer with an AMD 2500 XP processor at 2Ghz. I have the opportunity to buy 2 xeon processors with 512 kb caches, running 2.2ghz.

From a gaming aspect, is this a good idea? The AMD runs fairly well, but i've noticed my bottleneck is most definitely my processor *1 gb ram and a e-vga 6600vid card*.

I can get these xeons for fairly cheap, but I'm wondering whether I am better off saving up for an AMD 3400 or something like that. Also, since I currently have an AGP motherboard, I take it I would have to upgrade to an PCI mobo at least, correct? Would this mean changing ram as well?

Any input would be greatly valued, thank you.

I would save up for atleast a amd 64 3200+ vince which is good for gaming i don't know much about the xoens. AMD is the best choice if you want to game. You would have to get a new motherboard either way i would think if you go xeon or a better amd. The memory if it fits the motherboard it shouldn't be a problem jsut transfer them over to it.

And if you REALLY want to impress someone, get dual opterons and then crap all over their single chip (or dual core) systems. But thats really unecessary if your not in a high load server environment.

don't bother with dual cpu setups. dual core is different... I personally don't care to buy a dual core when a mid-range single core can still rip every game to shreds. there is no use going with dual cpu's.

From THAT point, you decide what video card you want to pair it with. You shouldn't go with anything but a PCIe motherboard. remember, PCI is different that PCI Express.

Ram will be the last thing you buy. Assuming you go with an AMD socket 939 setup, you'll need some DDR PC3200 ram.

Ryan

As stated, I am sure that he Xeons are used for servers not gaming. At least i havent ever heard of them being used for gaming.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did a little more research after posting and found that even with dual cpus pretty much no game will take advantage of it. My 3d design programs would, but I tend to game more than design (hobby).

Once again, thanks for the advice. I'm saving up for an AMD 3400+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom