Dual core vs Core 2duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

renegade4141

Beta member
I had a computer built and i got an:

Intel dual core 2.0ghz , 1mb l2cache 800mhz FSB

instead of the 2ghz intel core 2 duo i orderd . Is there a significant difference between these 2 ???

Dual core is more of a general term used to denote a CPU with two cores instead of one while Core 2 Duo is the actual name of the "Core" architecture Intel use. The Core 2 Duo means that it's using 2nd generation Core Duo design. That's how I look at it.

but when the cobalt is oc'd, it can perform similar to the vette, or beat it, stock cooling nonehtless.

but yeah, out of the box i'm pretty sure it's the architecture and cache that the core 2 duos can stomp the D dual cores.

An overclocked P4 can reach a lower end C2D and bake a cake at the same time. Not really a comparison between the two architectures.

The C2D is the winner any way you look at it... speed, power consumption, heat, whatever.

If you got stuck with a Pentium D you, got screwed... hard.

I think renegade is talking about the Pentium Dual Core series, which is based on the Core architecture....because I don't see a Pentium D that has 1MB of L2 cache.

According to the specs he listed, he's talking about the E2180. Which is an awesome processor for the money, and even more awesome when overclocked.

I would say there is a bit of a difference, but overclocked, a Pentium Dual Core such as the E2180 can rival a C2D. Like an E2180 overclocked to 3.4 or so, is equivalent to a C2D around 3 to 3.2GHz.

Doesn't the Pentium D use the Netburst architecture which hinders it's performance somewhat? It's like a P4 but with two bridged cores.

The e2180 is still a core2 product if i recall correctly, it just has less cache and is far cheaper. The 2180 is still a great chip.

An overclocked P4 can reach a lower end C2D and bake a cake at the same time. Not really a comparison between the two architectures.

The C2D is the winner any way you look at it... speed, power consumption, heat, whatever.

If you got stuck with a Pentium D you, got screwed... hard.

hmm, i thought all non core2duo dual cores were D. my 2140 won't choke no matter how hard i tried, and i have seen the temp max at 36. are the celeron dual cores the D then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom