Dual Core Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkon

In Runtime
In less then a month I will be upgrading my current system (specs below). My goal in this upgrade was to switch over to AMD and go dual core.

Processor ->
I have made the decision on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562).
I like this chip because it has a Manchester core (less transistors means more over clocking) and is priced very well.

Motherboard ->
Obliviously I will need a new motherboard; this is where I need some help. IÂ’ve been looking at the Asus A8N-SLi Premium (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540).
I've noticed that a lot of people who buy AMD Athlon 64 CPU's go with a DFI board. I looked at them and they do not have the AMD Athlon 64 X2 as a CPU type. I assume that this means the dual core chips will not work with that motherboard, but I want to be sure.

Video Card ->
I havenÂ’t made a decision on this yet except for to decided that I will be going with an nvidia chipset. IÂ’ve been thinking of getting a 7800GT (after all they are priced about the same as a 6800GT). Is the nvidia 7 series as good as the 6? Should I go with the 6800GT instead? Since I will have the ability to run a SLi configuration I will probably buy the second card later (as a small upgrade). Is there a certain brand I should go with that will ensure that I can buy one card now and an identical card in 4-5 months?

Finally, what version of windows should I run with this setup. Does windows even support dual core? I am open to all recomendations for this build.

i think your blowing your money away with SLI, but.. its your choice..
7800GT has NO use to SLI that with another one... its already a very good card by itself and you wouldnt notice that much of a difference with it (so they say) but idk, again your money :) Anyway, everything else sounds good but i didnt click on the links.. :( too busy :)

Bear in mind that the Dual Core is for multi-tasking. The FX is for gaming. The 7 series is better than the 6 series.

i think your blowing your money away with SLI, but.. its your choice..

Thats why im only buying one card right now. Then when the second card is needed I will buy it.

I would go with an FX if they werent $800.

Then I think I'd still go with the 3700+ and overclock it. Single core is very strong in the gaming market right now.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom