Dual Core Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I've been putting together some PC specs for rigs comprehensible to alienware machines. I have a dual core in mind anywhere from $500.00 U.S. ~ $700.00 U.S. not to include shipping.

Here is one build I came up with:

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Ram:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

GPU:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR VA4673NH51 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Additional suggest I really need are on a PSU and different Motherboard. I looked at an i7 rig that was really nice in another thread, but, that already covers some where between 900+. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, also, from experience with this case, I'd like a modular PSU to keep a lot of the clutter down.

This will be running Vista Premium or Ultimate depends on the total price. Thanks!:D

The Kuma is certainly cheaper, thanks for that, I was looking at the combo/suggested deals. The 7750 looks very well, and the board is AM2 so I can look forward to upgrading my friend to a quad-core very soon. I hope this helps out to others out there looking for a good AMD combination.

I think he just wants to stick with AMD because he is a fan. And if he does, the combination of his build with my changes comes out to ~$550

Your option is certainly cheaper but the cpu and video card are both quite a bit slower and it also has half the ram.

Since he mentioned looking at i7 but ruling it out because it was to expensive I assumed he would go with either manufacturer.

Your option is certainly cheaper but the cpu and video card are both quite a bit slower and it also has half the ram.

Since he mentioned looking at i7 but ruling it out because it was to expensive I assumed he would go with either manufacturer.

That is a good point. I just read his sig and assumed he wanted AMD, but if he was considering i7 and only turned it down on price, then I guess he will be very open to your suggestions :D

I think he just wants to stick with AMD because he is a fan. And if he does, the combination of his build with my changes comes out to ~$550

The e8400 would crush the chip he has chosen, and puddle's build is definitely worth the extra $150, it is better in every way. That AMD build is old technology. If he is such a fanboy then he should at least get a cpu from this generation. For the price Puddle's build is hard to beat.

That is a good point. I just read his sig and assumed he wanted AMD, but if he was considering i7 and only turned it down on price, then I guess he will be very open to your suggestions :D

I actually didn't notice his sig until just now but that explains why he might want AMD and why you mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom