dual core processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctic388

In Runtime
i have this picked out

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

but after reviewing some specs on gaming computers this one is the recommended one

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

so should i move up and can you explain why ? is it worth $140 more ? i want a fast computer but i'm already about 500 over what i wanted to spend. just the more i learn the more i want "the good stuff" please just give it to me straight.

thanks

i doubt i'll ever be doing two intense thigs at the same time. jsut net surfing and e-mail. deos todays gaming even need dual core ? or is this a future thing ? how much into the future ?

todays games don't even use the second core at all without a patch. in my opinion the main advantage isn't having 2 cores for gaming, it's like i said having one core for gaming and one free for whatever you want which for me most of the time is video encoding. i also am sure to set my virus scanner etc to a seperate core than my games. that way i never get lagged by background processes

got ya. so i dont think i need to take that step yet.

so is the 64 3200 a good single core one? or should i step up with it ?

think i might be able to justify 45 more dollars. thanks. the next step up to 3800 seems a bit much right now. since i'm already way over. i will base my planning on the 3700.

yep only $45 so far my total build cost is $1203.78 minues shipping and tax. $1372.40 to my door. this is less a keyboard and mouse. just case and internals and 19" flat screen and XP.

my original goal was $800 so i have some more overtime to work( maybe two weeks) then i'll get to build my baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom