Dual channel gfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grabnar

Beta member
I was wondering if any of you could help me out on the topic of dual channel gfx, do you need a special monitor to do it or do you simply need a monther board that supports it and maybe a special connector. Is there maybe a particular mother board that any of you would reccomend? or is there a particular card that you would reccomend? i plan on spending about $300-$350 on each of the cards

i'm not sure what you mean by dual channel gfx. do you mean a graphics card with dual output? (output to 2 different monitors)

or do you mean SLI / Crossfire? combining 2 different video cards for the sake of power. for sli/crossfire you need a special motherboard (either an SLI or crossfire motherboard). if you want to spend $600-700 on videocards, i suggest you don't do SLI/crossfire. get one really good video card (7900gtx or x1900xt).

sli/crossfire is combining 2 cards and it is a waste of money unless you are insanely rich and demand every little bit of performance out of your system. the performance boosts are almost negligible when compared to the cost of the second card. on average you may see perhaps a 10%-30% increase in performance which is hardly worth double the cost of a single card. that is unless you have your video set and a REALLY HIGH resolution

So go just one super card? any reccomendations on a really good single card for about $600 or so bucks? basically what im going for is to be able to easily run the new elder scrolls oblivion game

x1900xtx $500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102671

7900gtx $540
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130279

similar in performance, 1900xtx is $40 cheaper. they both should run oblivion VERY well. i hear.. although i'm not sure... that since its more shader intensive it'll run better on the x1900xtx.. maybe someone can back up that statement for me. either choice, they're both awesome cards. if you plan on SLIi/crossfire them in the future.. well they say since SLI has been around longer it performs better..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom