Double checking before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouchane

Solid State Member
is the Gigabyte P35 DS3L able to use a EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card,
I know my Mobo is DDR2 and the Card is DDR3. But been told it dont matter, Is this a GOOD card and will it be ok with my Mobo?

Also
would I get a LOT more improvement If i traded my unopened Core 2 Duo E7200
2.53Ghz for a E8400 which is a 3.0 Core 2 Duo. I know its a good lil upgrade, but would this help the graphics card more?

When Do the New cards come out and do you think it will make a drastic price drop in the 275-300 Graphics Card Im buying?

Thanks a lot
:D

I think that the E8400's higher 1330 FSB alone would be worth trading in the E7200 for it.

I found an interesting article I read on DDR vs. GDDR (the graphics version), which may help answer some question:
DDR vs. GDDR Memories | Hardware Secrets

The graphics card should be able to run on the motherboard, but I'd check out the physical space it takes up - it may overlap some of the other parts. But the card is top of the line. I'd wait for the GTX and Radeon HD graphics cards come out to see the price drop, but I don't know how much it will drop.

Also, I'm a fan of the E8400 anyhow, so I think it's worth the upgrade.

e7200 can overclock just as well as an e8400, they both use the same Wolfdale core, so just keep the e7200 and overclock it!!

Yes you can use the 9800gtx in a P35-DS3L, as long as it has a PCI-e 16 or 2.0 slot then it works, its a powerful card, new cards should be coming maybe end of this month to early next month.. and card price drops are already occuring

The Wolfdale core is a beastie overclocker so I'd keep it even if it was the e7200. lol and Vern is right about the GPU's I'd wait if I were you. But waiting will tempt you for the newer cards lol. its just how the industry works.

Ya that xDRox guy didn't know what he was doing and managed to overclock it to 4.5ghz, and didn't fry anything, so it overclocks just as well as their big brother e8xxx series cards

stick with the e7200, I would wait to see the new cards and the price drop that follows. But if you do not want to get either bfg or a evga brand card because they have the step up program.

wonderul guys thanks for the help. ya today i went out and bought some other items im throwing into this build So far ive got 5 key items but still am missing some.

Heres what I have at the moment STILL IN BOX
-GA-P35-D3SL
-intel-Core 2 Duo E7200
-Western Dig-500gb 7200RPM Harddrive
-Corsair-PSU-650Watt
-LG 20x internal supermulti DVD writer (cd rom) got 8.5gb and double layer.

and the things I am still waiting to buy ARE listed Below
-Antec 900 (gaming Case) $90.00
-9800 GTX (think EVGA) $250-300 (depending on price drop and sales)
-Windows MIGHT go vista $150 (thats iffy number cause not 100percent which i want)
-(2 of these kits)OCZ Platium series 4gb kit(2gig sticks)DDR2 1066 $280.00 (this prolly will change if i can find a cheaper just as good kit- BUT i want to max the system out with gbs)
-Heat Sync (thinking the Thermaltake DUorb but not sure) atm- $65
-Samsung screen 22 incher. HAVENT priced these up cause i got a nice Screen BUT i want 2 for this graphics card i think it will be around ($300-$400)

otherthen that. Little things like Sound proofing material and Mouse and Keyboard.
Still got a lot to buy but... should be done in a month or two hopefully. Getting pretty excited! watching a pile-o-parts get bigger and bigger. and im keeping my eyes PEELED on sales.

PLEASE FLAME if something is wrong. im a NEWB to this and am TRYING to learn more everyday. Thanks again for all the help!!!

-Bouchane

Get the cheapest eVGA or BFG 9800gtx if you want to step up soon to a GTX 2xx series or just get the cheapest one in general if you don't plan on it..

8gb is just overkill, and you need a 64bit OS to read past 4gb's

Get the Xigmatek Rifle instead of the DuoOrb

Also. I know that DuORB heat sync MAYBE overkill. But the question i keep asking my self IS ..."is it really overkill if its going to keep the MOBO colder and which NORMALLY adds life to them. Most likely I WONT Overclock this PC. That being said... I didnt say I wouldnt lol.

This Pc is going to be used for...please dont laugh. I enjoy it and I guess thats all that matters.

Everquest 2 -HARDCORE in a raiding guild and I play a LOT. I would have gone for a HIGHEND gaming PC but my focus was on reliability and GOOD graphics.

Call Of Duty 4- sometimes. I love this game and just want to be able to run it nicely and again enjoy gaming.

on some occasions i burn CDs and I would like to burn DvDs here and there. but NOT often at ALL...

With those 3 things I do on PCs the most(and surf net on places like this) Do you think this is going to work great?!

I know it would dominate EQ2 and run it very nice. cause its a 3 year old game. BUT i again want Call of duty 2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom