dont know much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

foyker1981

Beta member
was wondering if this is a decent build. just looking for input as to the good the bad. any foreseeable problems. will everything fit. anything a piece o' junk. not trying to get the best, but not the worst either. also not wanting to spend more than what this costs. this setup, w/out the ram included, is around 750. thanks in advance for any input!

Case: COMPUCASE (HEC), 6C28B Black Mid-Tower Case, No PSU, ATX
Power Supply: HEC, X-Power 585 Power Supply, 585W, 24-pin ATX12V, Dual 80mm Fans

Socket AM3 Phenom II DDR3 Motherboard: GIGABYTE, GA-MA790XT-UD4P (rev. 1.0), AM3, AMD 790X, DDR3-1666 (O.C.) 16GB/4, PCIe x16 CF/2,
SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5/8, HDA, GbLAN, FW/3, ATX

Socket AM3 Desktop Processor: AMD, Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core 3.4GHz, AM3, HT 4000MHz, 4x 512 KB L2+6MB L3 cache, 125W, 45nm, Black Edition

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK, H.D.T. HDT-S1283 CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, 120mm Fan, Copper/Aluminum

DDR3-1333 Non-ECC DIMM Memory: ???

PCI Express x16 Video Card: SAPPHIRE, Vapor-X Radeon HD 5750 710 MHz, 1GB GDDR5 4640MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI/2, DP, HDMI

SATA Hard Drive: HITACHI, 500GB DeskStar P7K500 (HDP725050GLA360), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache

DVD Burner Drive: LG ELECTRONICS, GH24NS50 black 24x DVD+R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA

Network Card: Integrated Network Controller

Sound Card: Integrated Audio Controller

I highly recommend getting a 5770 instead of the 5750 as you'll be getting quite a bit more power for only a few dollars more.

I would also recommend getting an Antec or Corsair power supply around 500 or 550w. I don't know much about X-Power, but I have never had luck with any other than the big names for power supplies, and you definitely don't want to go cheap on the PSU.

Everything else looks fine to me, although in my personal opinion it is worth buying a dedicated sound card instead of using onboard audio.

A rule of thumb, that was given to me a long time ago.
I somewhat live by it these days, except in certain cases.
Don't spend more on your CPU than on your GPU.
Also, get the Phenom II X4 955 over the 965.
The 955=965
The difference is .2Ghz?
You can just overclock slightly and make up for the difference and save yourself the $20.

As far as the HDD
Hitachi Deskstars have a notorious nickname.
Hitachi 'Deathstars' as their failure rate is not promising.
I suggest going for a Western Digital Caviar Blue/Black or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 instead.
Beyond that, everything looks ok to me, as far as
"not wanting the best" "not wanting the worst"
"not wanting to pay too much"
Good luck :D

yeah, poking around on different options, found the dif hds, with about the same price for same size. had no clue about the graphics card not being so great. thanks for all the info u guys. learning a lil bit every time i look at parts, get answers from helpful pple, so thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom